Invisible Powers, Partially Advantaged Strength

Dr. Anomaly

Question

Steve,

I've got a couple of unrelated questions for you. (If in the future you'd prefer a seperate thread for each, please say so. :) )

1) Suppose a character has a 75 STR and has paid for Armor Piercing on 50 of that 75 STR. In what order/how do you apply damage done by a punch to a target's defenses?

2) A character of mine has an invisible extra pair of arms...think Gil Hamilton of ARM (Larry Niven) except these are actual arms, not just short-range TK. Originally I bought this as +1 Fully Invisible and +1/4 Inherent, meaning it would probably look like TK to someone seeing things "float" around near him, but it actually is an extra set of arms. Last night, when I went to update my character sheet in Hero Designer, I discovered the current version won't let me apply Invisible Power Effects to Extra Limbs because it says that since Extra Limbs does not cost END, the power is therefore Invisible already and that Invisible Power Effects is not a valid Advantage.

Is this right? You can't buy Invisible Power Effects on something that doesn't cost END? If so, how on Earth do I represent my "invisible extra set of arms"? I'm not interested in buying Invisible Inherent No Range TK...I just want that extra set of arms bought with Extra Limbs to be invisible! Help?

I know you might say #2 isn't strictly a rules question but more of a "how do I build this" question, but what I'm really asking is...isn't it okay to apply Invisible Power Effects to powers that don't cost END?

1 answer to this question

1. If a character buys an Advantage for part of his STR that affects how his STR does damage, and the character uses up to the amount of STR he has bought the Advantage for, you apply the damage as normal for the rules for the Advantage. If he uses more than that amount of STR, the Advantage does not apply at all.

2. 5E 112 specifically states that Extra Limbs, despite being Persistent, are visible, which means you can buy IPE for them. If HD is using the general rule and won’t let you do that, just do it with a Custom Advantage or the like and call it a day. ;)