Concealment and other senses

nelay

Question

Sorry if i missed this in the book or FAQ, but I am unable to find anything that states how unusual senses affect someone or something that is concealed.

For example I have a Fantasy Hero thief with a concealment of 21-. He hides from the nasty wraith who is moving towards him, making his roll by 10. The wraith has an Enhanced Sense: Detect Living bought as a mental sense (he just knows when something living is around).

Is the thiefs concealment solely based on sight perception?

Can the thief only conceal himself vs. senses he possesses?

Does the wraith automatically sense the thief or does his concealment affect the wraith's perception roll?

If the thief was just out of normal sight and not specifically concealing himself, would that make a difference?

Along these lines is there any real difference between a detect door and a detect hidden door. I would assume the second one would find doors that are specifically hidden, while the first would only detect those doors the character did not percieve but were not specifically hidden.

Thank you in advance.

1 answer to this question

1. Concealment generally only applies to Sight, but the GM and players have to apply some common sense to resolve difficult situations. For example, ordinarily it wouldn’t be difficult for an animal to find a Concealed person via Smell — but if the person’s hidden inside an airtight area or compartment of some sort, obviously that’s not going to be so easy anymore. Similarly, an object might not have any scent to speak of, making it difficult to detect with Smell.

2. Whether “just being out of sight” conceals someone or something from a Detect depends on how the Detect is built and defined. If it’s part of the Sight Group, then blocking sight would block the Detect. If it’s part of some other Sense Group, or no Sense Group, maybe not — for example, you can sometimes smell or hear things you can’t see. Apply common and dramatic sense when problems arise, and you should be able to resolve most difficulties to everyone’s satisfaction.

3. That depends on how the GM chooses to interpret those two senses within the context of the campaign. If there are clearly-defined separate powers for Detecting two different things, it stands to reason that they’re intended to perceive two different things. OTOH, it may just be a matter of phrasing — obviously there’s no need for a special power to perceive doors, since they’re usually obvious to Normal Sight and Normal Touch, so a “Detect Doors” power might just be a poorly-worded way of saying Detect Hidden/Secret Doors.