Mental Attacks

Kzinbane

Mind blasts, mental illusions, etc are limited pretty much by line of sight. This sight as far as targetting. Now here's one I was thinking of...

What if you have a robotic character or armored suit character that is operated via radio link or other means by remote control? In other words there is no one actually inside? Case in point - Iron man has in the past been able to operate by remote control, Tony stark running him from somewehre else.

Would a mind blast on the armor or remotely operated rebotic character work - meaning hit the person operating the suit or robotic body?

The clincher is - you need LOS to the charater for mind powers. LOS does not say to the actual character itself (meaning you can see eyes, skin or other part of the actual person/creature). If this were the case a simple skin tight suit and opaque sun glasses would stop mental power attacks. Since you are attacking the charater though - in LOS it seems to indicate to me that the mind running that character would be hit whether it was inside or 200 miles away on a remote link.

I have a character in my game who has a multi-power slot that can include a mental attack. For obvious reasons (most bad guys have low ECV and LOS - no "to hit" rules) he's using it frequently. I'm trying to think of ways to "stir things up" without doing the obvious - just giving all the opposition mental defenses.

I wouldn't allow a mentalist to attack through a radio control link unless their special effect worked vs. machine intelligences as well as human. Even then that would assume the remote operator was controlling the armor or vehicle through a cybernetic link. If they're running it through a joystick and keyboard like real modern remote piloted vehicles then that's simply not a good enough connection.

Mentalists are powerful enough without giving them extras for free.

Cyberntic link

I should have been more clear. Yes the link would be cybernetic - the operator would have some sort of direct "nerve" connection to the remote suit or robot.

Hmmm joystick. If the suit/robot were operated by remote - via old fashioned video feed or virtual reality and the user were not directly connected via cyperwear no mind blast would get through. There is an idea.