Fun with destruction

Benzini

In the comics, when one wishes entry, one can blast away and voila',: human-sized hole. But they (Supers), don't always do it that way. sometimes you see a pencil thin laser or adamantium claw tracing the outline of a door, THEN gain entry. How would this be simulated in the game as far as time concerns and amount of damage?

And another thing...according to the rules, if you shot straight down at some semi dense earth (DEF 5 BOD 5) delivering 20 damage over the DEF, you not only made a hole in the earth that is man-sized,(and 1 hex deep) but the area has been DOUBLED 20 TIMES (Like a free Area effect). This is a large, shallow hole. I would expect something more crater-shaped. (Like some tunnelling thrown in as side effect, or explosion)

Anyone care to tackle this?

Guest Champsguy

Re: Fun with destruction

Originally posted by Benzini

In the comics, when one wishes entry, one can blast away and voila',: human-sized hole. But they (Supers), don't always do it that way. sometimes you see a pencil thin laser or adamantium claw tracing the outline of a door, THEN gain entry. How would this be simulated in the game as far as time concerns and amount of damage?

I'd say it's the same thing. Just looks different. No point in punishing the guy with the claws.

If it takes the laser a long time (like in a James Bond movie or something), then it's just barely powerful enough to do 1 Body past the door's defenses.

And another thing...according to the rules, if you shot straight down at some semi dense earth (DEF 5 BOD 5) delivering 20 damage over the DEF, you not only made a hole in the earth that is man-sized,(and 1 hex deep) but the area has been DOUBLED 20 TIMES (Like a free Area effect). This is a large, shallow hole. I would expect something more crater-shaped. (Like some tunnelling thrown in as side effect, or explosion)

Anyone care to tackle this?

Well, I'd use a combination of the rules for blasting through a wall, and blasting through a multi-hex lump of stuff. If you'll look in the rules, you'll find the "doubles for every +1 Body" that you've pointed out. On the same page, you'll find a rule for blasting through several meters of various materials. I believe it's labeled "wall durability" or something like that. You'll see that every time the thickness of a wall is doubled, you get +2 Body. So 1 meter of metal is something like 8 Def, 11 Body. 2 meters would be 8 Def, 13 Body. 4 meters would be 8 Def, 15 Body (these numbers came out of thin air--I don't remember what the actual book values are).

So, when your 30D6 EB shoots the semi-dense earth (Def 5, Body 5), you do an extra 20 Body. You'll need 2 extra Body for every doubling deep, and 1 extra Body for every doubling wide. So that's really 3 extra Body for each doubling. So, with 3 Body over, you'd get a 2 hex deep, 2 hex wide hole. With the 20 extra Body, you're getting 6 doublings, plus 2 Body extra (that you can distribute any way you feel like). So instead of getting a one-hex deep, million hex wide indention in the ground (like you would before), you're getting a 64 hex deep, 64 hex wide crater in the ground (with 2 Body left over). That's bigger than a football field. It seems much more in line with what you're looking for. And it really makes you appreciate those attacks that Dr. Destroyer is tossing about.