Another Good Fantasy Epic

badger3k

Well, Epic since it's gone on for three series of 6 issues each, and reprinted in 2 trade paperbacks so far.

What is it? Well, its a comic book, called Artesia.

I don't know if anyone's read it, or heard of it, but its a well written story, and has interesting artwork. The story is about Artesia, a war captain of a highland kingdom, who eventually becomes a queen. So far, it involves warfare in the highlands, then goes southward to fight for the High King against the Sun Court. Magic, spirits, vampire-thingees. Sex, Blood, but no rock and roll, but theres intrigue, honor, betrayal, loads of stuff.

I first saw it in Dork Tower, and didn't think much of it. Then I read one issue of the latest series (Artesia Afire, #6 just came out recently), and went back to get the first books - the story dragged me in. The land is somewhat celtic in flavor (at least the Highlands part reminds me of that, and other elements), but it's not set on earth. The books can be confusing sometimes (I still have a little trouble with which character is which), and some things you only get tantalizing hints of what's going on. For me, the depth of the story is a great point in its favor and what got me hooked (well, that and its one of few fantasy comics, and one of very few that deal with large scale battles and such).

The website has enough info on the setting and story if you haven't heard of it. The books are printed by Archaia Studio Press and are definitely for mature readers. Just figured I'd put this up and maybe give it a little advertising (and see if others would enjoy it).

The website is : http://www.artesiaonline.com/