Mindscan...

jtfanclub

Question

Victimus is hiding in Sri Landa. I make my roll to find him on Earth, and I make the effect roll by Ego+20 so I know his exact location. I make no mental attack or communication attempts upon him.

1. Victimus does not have Mental Awareness. Does he sense anything..and if so, what? If he did have mental awareness, would he be aware or who was doing the scanning, or just that he was scanned?

2. Do I detect that he's in Sri Lanka, or that he's 8,579 miles SE by 250 miles S? Or something else?

3. Can I use Megascale Teleport to blind teleport to his vicinity? Could I blind Megascale Teleport to five miles above his location, so I avoid that pesky being buried under a mile of rock issue?

4. If the Mind Scan is in a Multipower, and I switch powers away from Mind Scan (to, for example, use the Megascale Teleport), do I still have a fix on where he was as of the moment I turned off the Mind Scan?

That's all my questions for now...thanks.

1 answer to this question

Re: Mindscan...

1. Whether a character with Mind Scan communicates with or attacks a target or not, if he succeeds with his Effect Roll, the target knows that someone is using Mind Scan on him. A lock-on has been established, with all that that entails.

2. With an EGO +20 result on Mind Scan, a character detects his target's "exact location." The GM can interpret that how he wants to, based on special effects and other considerations, and provide information to the character accordingly. The important thing isn't how the character receives the information, but the result of that information -- he knows exactly where the character is.

3. A character can Teleport blind wherever he wants to, provided it's within range of its powers. He's simply going to have to expose himself to the dangers of doing so.

What you may be wanting to ask is this: is an EGO +20 result on Mind Scan enough for a character to Teleport to the target's "exact location" without suffering the risks of Teleporting blind? Generally, the answer to that is "yes," but the GM can adjust that as he sees fit based on the circumstances, common sense, dramatic sense, special effects, and considerations of game balance.

4. See 5E 134 (there's also a Rules FAQ question on a similar issue). What happens after the character turns off his Mind Scan -- i.e., whether the target moves or the like -- is up to the GM.