Multipower Allocation & Powers building

Guest Starhawk1209

Question

Guest Starhawk1209

Steve,

I have a player who has this specific setup.

My question I beleive falls into a rules question area.

If I understand the rules regarding Multipowers and adders on individual powers, then I believe when this character is using his FF (Forcefield), then that character has in effect, only 2 inches of flight movement available to him.

I am basing this on the 17 character points left after the 45 is taken away from the 62 in the reserve.

17 subtracting 5 for the adder of position shift

subtracting 5 more for the adder of *4 noncombat

and finally using the remaining 7 points but also applying the 1/4 advantage modifier he has leaves him with 2 points of usuable flight?

Is it correct that the character can't simply 'use' and 'not use' the adders as that is how the power was orignally bought? The character can't simply decide to not pay for the adders and advantage one time, and then pay for them another?

Once you buy the power, unless it is bought with variable advantages, then that is how you must allocate your remaining points to rebuild the power exactly as you originally would have it at 'full' points?

Multipower, 62-point reserve, (62 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

1 - Muilti-Phasic Defense Shields: FF (10 PD/15 ED/10 Power Defense/5 Flash Defense: Sight Group/5 Flash Defense: Hearing Group) (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

2 - Anti-Gravity Systems: Flight 20", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Usable Underwater (+1/4) (62 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

3 - Trans-Spatial Tunnel: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1) (56 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Thanks for your input Steve, even if it is to simply direct me to the book where I would have missed the clear cut explanation.

Starhawk1209

1 answer to this question

Re: Multipower Allocation & Powers building

Hmmm, several questions here. ;)

First, I can't tell from your writeup or description whether these slots are Fixed or Flexible. If they're Fixed, he's never going to be able to use more than one at a time, since each of them uses up its entire Active Points' worth of the reserve even if it's used at less than full power. If they're Flexible, then if the character has his full Force Field active (45 of 62 points), he has only 17 reserve points left that he could allocate to Flight.

Second, as for the Adders, per third question under "Power Advantages -- General," in the Rules FAQ, characters don't always have to use them. For example, if a character doesn't want to Run at improved Noncombat Speed, there's no reason for him to use the Adder. The question specifically notes that a character doesn't have to assign Multipower reserve points to an Adder that's part of a Flexible slot if he doesn't want to. Advantages, OTOH, always have to be used, per the rulebook.

So, in this case, assuming the character didn't want to use any Adders, he could use 7" of Flight (14 points, with a +1/4 Advantage, = 17.5 which rounds down to 17).

Does that take care of the problem for you? If I missed something, please post a follow-up. ;)