Magic Skill Levels

Brett

The character Valerius the Harper on FH page 383 has several Specific Magic Skills such as Sorcery and Wizardry. He also has +2 with Magic Skill Rolls for 10 points and +1 with Magic Rolls for 3 points.

I think that I previously saw this in the book somewhere, but I cannot find it now. I believe that the +2 Magic Skill Rolls applies to casting the spell while the +1 Magic Rolls applies to attacking (the hit roll) with spells.

Unless the character is going to use very few types or schools of spells, wouldn't it be cost effective to buy many 5 point levels rather than buying up each spell? 5 points gets you a +1 on all casting magic rolls, whereas 2 points buys a single skill such as Wizardry only a +1 over the base cost. 4 points spent on individual skills would give 2 skills a +1 and 6 points would give only 3 skills a +1.

Re: Magic Skill Levels

I believe that is the point of Magic Skill Levels - to encourage players to buy many types of magic skills by discounting the price instead of specializing in one school of magic. Same goes with normal Skill Levels. The more magic skills you have, the more reason to buy 5 point MSL's to increase them rather then improve them individually.

It is still rather confusing. For example, Taalsalira, the first villain listed in the sections, has a Faith skill of 18- and +4 with Magic which costs 12 points.

I would assume that this is +4 on magical attack rolls, but this is not very clear since the Faith skill is her magic skill. Of course, why pay 3 points per +1 when you can improve the single skill for 2 points per +1?

The +4 w/ Magic is not a Skill Enhancer, it is a 3 Point Combat Skill Level. That means she can increase OCV with spells, increase DCV against spells, or increase damage. My belief is that this is not a representation of Taal Salira's mastery of magic, but mastery of magic in combat - a 22- in magic versus an 18- represents a better mastery, but Taal Salira knows how to aim her spells - she can do more damage, or defend against them. The ability to cast and the ability to use in combat are two seperate things -

A character with with a 22- to cast and no CSLs is a potent caster, and not so good in combat.

A caster with a 14- to cast and 5 CSLs is less competent caster, but can really do some damage when they do successfully cast a spell.

Just my dos centavos.