Unluck Modification (curse)

trechriron

I originally posted this in the Kult conversion thread under Other Genres, however I wanted to see what everyone thought about it. Basically I am trying to figure a way to have a curse that manifests as some foreboding event. I think that the basic mechanics of Unluck could apply with some minor tweaks. So here are my ideas. I have not had a chance to play test this. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements?

Unluck Modification 1 (Triggered Event): Unluck does not occur at regular intervals but instead a daily roll is made and levels accumulated towards a threshold that triggers an event. The event is something unlucky or negatively impacts the character in some manner. Unluck is rolled each day by the GM and levels are generated normally. Levels accumulate and are tracked by the GM. Once the number of levels reaches the threshold, the event is triggered, comes to fruition, happens, etc. The value of Triggered Event Unluck is based on several factors including the Severity of the event, the threshold of levels required to trigger the event, and the number of dice of Unluck, etc.

Value – Number of Unluck Dice

5 – 3d6

10 – 4d6

15 – 5d6

Value – Event Severity

-5 – Inconvenient

5 – Harmful

10 – Catastrophic

Value – Threshold

0 – 40

5 – 20

10 – 10

Unluck Modification 2 (Triggered Event plus Random Severity): To add another element to this, you could set a daily threshold (based on the number of dice of Unluck) that counts as a 'mark' for that day. The more 'marks' accumulated when the threshold is met, the greater the severity of the event. This could be used for generic curses where something bad yet undefined is going to happen. You could have ominous nightmares crop up dealing with potential events as 'marks' accumulate.

Value - Dice – Daily Threshold

5 - 3d6 – 2

10 - 4d6 – 3

15 - 5d6 – 4

Value – Event Severity

5 – Determined by Marks

Value – Threshold

0 – 40

5 – 20

10 – 10

Example (Mod 1): Demonic Curse, family obligation – Unluck (Mod 1) 5d6, Event: Demon comes collecting sacrifice for curse, threshold 20. Must sacrifice something like expensive items, blood, virgins, body part, etc. 25 Points.

Example (Mod 2): Maleficent Destiny – Unluck (Mod 2) 4d6, Daily Threshold 3. Event: Something ominous and bad occurs (Severity by Marks), Threshold 10. 25 Points.

Edit: Fixed example 2. :hex: