Power Armor as a separate entity

Zeropoint

I'm trying to write up a Hero System conversion of the BESM setting "Centauri Knights", and I'm having a little trouble with the power armor. Specifically, BESM-style power armor is treated as a vehicle, with its own hit points. Damage getting through the suit's defenses is applied to the suit, not the character, unless the suit has a Defect which causes the character to take damage as well.

This makes some sense, as the suits in question should have internal components which can be damaged, and in doing so, soak up damage that would otherwise affect the character wearing it. I'm not sure what the best way to model this in Hero is.

My first thought, for simplicity's sake, is to use a super-hero style writeup, with some extra BODY in the OIF power armor. My second thought is a Breakable Focus...hmm, combine that with some damage reduction to simulate the suit soaking damage, and it just might work. (side note: Fred claims that Breakable and Unbreakable both have advantages and disadvantages that balance out--I'm not seeing it. What reason, other than properly modeling source material, is there to make a focus Breakable? What are the disadvantages of Unbreakable?)

My third thought is to make the suit as a Vehicle, so that it will in fact have its own hit points, and will reflect the fact that it is something the characters are wearing, rather than part of them. It also means that the players can actually afford to own a servopanzer on a reasonable point budget. This adds a lot of complication, though.

Has anyone out there done any non-superhero power armor? I'd be quite grateful if I could get some suggestions.

Zeropoint

Re: Power Armor as a separate entity

Quite a few published characters have bought powered armor as a Vehicle - there's an example written up in The Ultimate Vehicle, and that supplement would be very helpful for deciding how to implement your concept. To me this does sound like the best representation of what you want to do.

A couple of points about integrating this kind of armor into a campaign: I would avoid requiring the pilot/driver to make a Control Roll except in particularly unusual or demanding situations. With combat being a common occurence the game would bog down if you had to roll every time. Also, I find when balancing vehicle attacks and defenses with those of characters built normally, it helps to equate vehicle defenses with those of automatons that also only take BODY damage. In other words, the vehicle defense totals should be multiplied by three to compare them to the defenses of regular characters.

Guest Kolava

I say go with the vehicle route, particularly if the character isn't supposed to be powerful in combat outside of his armor (asside from guns and such, of course).

As for "complication", it's actually pretty easy. Just buy the vehicle with the same DEX and SPD as the character, and the character can take his actions normally.

This thread, among others, you may find useful as an example: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2976

My gut instinct tells me to go with the Vehicle route, and thanks to your encouragement, that's what I'll do. I'll post my first writeup in the Star Hero forum when it's done (probably Monday).

Thanks!

Zeropoint