naked anti-Limitations

Basil

Question

I'm not even sure "naked anti-Limitations" is what they'd be called, and I sure don't know how to do 'em. In fact, I've never seen one written up.

What I'm talking about is a "power" that removes a Limitation from another power. It would look something vaguely like:

Remove Always On from any Fire Power of up to 60 Active Points, ?20? Base Points, Usable By Other (+1/4), ?25? Active Points.

This would let the character with this power remove the Always On Limitation for his or another's Fire Power. I guess its base cost would be derived from the Active Points of the power to be effected, the number of base points being the difference between the points with and without the limitation (in the above example, 60 - (60/(1 + 1/2)) = 20), with Advantages and Limitations figured on the base cost as any normal power.

However, if I consider "naked Advantages" as a guideline, I have to wonder if a naked anti-Limitation is turned into an Instant, costs-END, power?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

1 answer to this question

Re: naked anti-Limitations

To begin with, I’m going to disavow your example: you can’t “buy off” Always On this way. It’s not “always on” if the character can “remove” it in some fashion. You’d need some form of Limited Power instead of Always On (or the GM’s permission) to do something like what you’re describing.

Assuming some other valid attempt to remove a Limitation — the most common example probably being “Increased Endurance Cost does not apply if I have this Focus” — re-calculate the cost of the power without the Limitation. Then subtract the cost of the power with the Limitation from that amount, and that tells you the cost of “buying off” the Limitation. It’s up to the GM to determine the specifics of such an ability, but typically it would probably make sense to treat like a naked Advantage.

Example: A character has this power: Mystic Blast: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) (total cost: 17 points). He wants to remove the Increased Endurance Cost when he has his magic staff (the special effect being that the staff makes casting the spell less stressful, or that the staff itself provides the power for the spell, or the like). Without that Limitation, the spell would cost 25 points instead of 17.

So, he then buys: remove Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) from Mystic Blast (8 Active Points); OAF (-1) (total cost: 4 points). Altogether these two abilities cost him 21 points.