ECSLs with Mind Scan

wylodmayer

Question

Mind Scan, alone among the Mental Powers, includes reference to the cost of buying bonuses to ECV with Mind Scan in the actual description of the power. The summary text at the end of the power seems to indicate that such additional levels are included in the Active Cost of the power itself (as an aside, the interface for Hero Designer seems to confirm this opinion). Now, my question has several parts, based on this unusual inclusion:

1) Do CSLs normally applicable to Ego Combat apply also to Mind Scan?

2) Regardless of the answer to (1), can levels be purchased for use with Mind Scan under skills, rather than as a part of the Mind Scan power itself?

3) If the answer to (2) is "yes," why would anyone buy the bonus to ECV in the power itself, as this pushes the Active Point cap, and makes such "levels" subject to any Power Advantages on Mind Scan (thus increasing their cost)?

4) If the answer to (3) is "no," why does Mind Scan alone merit such unusual treatment?

1 answer to this question

Re: ECSLs with Mind Scan

1. It depends on what you mean by “Ego Combat.” If you mean CSLs with one or more Mental Powers or with Mental Combat, yes, they could apply, assuming they were appropriately defined.

2. Yes. There’s nothing that says a character must use the Adder that’s a part of Mind Scan.

3. That’s up to the individual player. The fact that the Mind Scan Adder can legally be placed in a Power Framework is one good reason, IMO.

4. Since #3 isn’t a yes/no question, I’m not sure I understand what you’re driving at here — but in any event, I generally don’t answer rules design/philosophy questions.