[Waiwode's World] Cave & Forest Skraelings

waiwode

All those magical colleges I was working on have started to come together. Working on races. Want some "vaguely tolkienish things" wtihout being standard western fantasy.

Thoughts & Comments welcome.

Race Name: Skraelings (Cave & Forest)

Homeland: Northern Aerta, Cave Skraelings live underground . Language: Skrael.

Quick Image: Elfquest Elves crossed with Warhammer Goblins.

Average Height: 3’6â€-4’ Ave Weight: 50 lbs

Description: Both Cave and Forest Skraelings are of the same race, their differences are more cultural or cosmetic than physiological. Cave Skraelings have pale skin and dark brown or black hair. Their eyes are red, violet, or blue. Forest Skraelings have tanned complexions and brown, red, or blonde hair. Their eyes are deep green, light green, or brown. Facial hair is very rare for either group. As a rule Cave Skraelings are more muscular, Forest Skraelings slimmer, but neither group can be called stout.

They have two genders, divided close to equally. The females are rarely more than half an inch smaller than the males.

Although an integrated part of Aertan society, Skraelings who live in the wild form tribal hunter-gatherer bands numbering between 20 to 40 members, on average.

Skraelings have no special gift for magic. However the Forest Skraelings form a large part of the Oakleaf and Silvertongue Schools, and Cave Skraelings form a large part of the Stormrune School and the Lantern of Ixloss College. Both groups exist in every College and School.

Skraelings are omnivorous, however the Cave Skraelings have a much higher plant content in their diet.

Once the Skraelings worshipped a pantheon of deities, but like most these gods perished in Heaven’s Fall. Now the Skraelings never become more than lay members of the Temples of Aerta.

Skraeling warfare has always been based around tribal skirmishing. They form lightly armed and armoured skirmish units that specialize in hit-and-run tactics. Skraeling datha seem like short-swords to humans, but to Skraelings they are more like heavy sabers. Forest Skraelings also use sho-had, powerful horn recurve bows that pack a considerable punch for their size.

Skraelings work hand in hand with Humans and Drakonians, and are as much a part of the petty struggles of the Cities of Aerta as any race. Skraelings dislike Beastmen, troll, and trollkin.

Racial Abilities

Cave Skraeling

Climbing (DEX) +3

+2 DEX +6

Easily Hidden: +2 to Conceal, Self Only, +3

only in caverns, rocky terrain.

Hard to Hit: +2 DCV +10

Hard to Perceive: +2 Stealth. +4

+1 Listening Group PER +2

Longevity (up to 200 years) +1

Nightvision +5

-1 STR -1

-2 PRE -2

-2†Running -4

Phys Lim: Small (Infrequent, Slight) -5

Total: 22

Forest Skraeling

Climbing (DEX) +3

+2 DEX +6

Easily Hidden: +2 to Conceal, Self Only, +2

only in forested terrain.

Environmental Movement: Thicket Master, +3

no penalty for moving through undergrowth.

Hard to Hit: +2 DCV +10

Hard to Perceive: +2 Stealth. +4

+1 Sight Group PER +2

Longevity (up to 200 years) +1

Nightvision +5

-3 STR -3

-2 PRE -2

-1†Running -2

Phys Lim: Small (Infrequent, Slight) -5

Total: 24

Doug.

Re: [Waiwode's World] Cave & Forest Skraelings

It seems odd that a race with a penalty to running favors hit-and-run tactics' date=' but that's just me. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with these, assuming your math is good.[/quote']

Penalty to running because they're 3 to 4 feet high! :D I tried to be logical about it, and follow the examples llaid out in FH.

The good news is they hide like ... like ... like something that hides very well. And when we think about it, do we expect Halflings and Gnomes to have a real "stand and fight" attitude, or do we expect them to harras the opponent with sling-stones, arrows and bolts and get out of there while they can.

The Forest Skraelings have a "Brer Rabbit in the Briar Patch" effect with Environmental Mastery. I was trying to come up with something like that for the Cave Skraelings, but I don't see any sort of "Earth Meld" happening. A little too magical for a racial ability, I think.

Thanks for your critique!

Doug.

With their concealment bonuses, one group could hide until the enemy is distracted, possibly by a volley of arrows from another group, and then move, providing some harassing fire later to allow the other group to move. It's workable with two groups...with four or five, it's nightmarish.

Penalty to running because they're 3 to 4 feet high! :D I tried to be logical about it' date=' and follow the examples llaid out in FH.[/quote']

I don't think the running penalty is inappropriate. I just found it strange that "slow" (for lack of a better term) creatures use hit-and-run tactics, which usually require having greater mobility than your targets. Ambush seems like it would fit them well, but I just have trouble seeing them in a protracted hit-and-run scenario.

For the forest ones, maybe climbing or swinging would be a good choice. The ability to move quickly through the trees would provide a big advantage on their home terrain. You could build such abilities similarly to super-skills found in Dark Champions.

As for the cave guys, burrowing might be appropriate. You might also consider making them master trappers and giving them bonuses to find and avoid traps.

Just some thoughts.

The following are very "Dwarfy" or Elfy with just minor changes. I'm pretty much over it.

Options, Cave Skraelings

Feel Stone: 5 pts KS: Stone and Stonework 11-. (+ 2 pts)

+3 Concealment, only to find weak*, hidden, concealed, or secret stone-work. (-1) (+3pts)

Underground Folk 4 pts (same as Dwarves in FH)

This isn't "Find Weakness." This is "judging by the poor job that was done putting up these support beams, and the damage we just did when Vesuvius cast Summon Incarnate Destruction Bunny this Mine is going to collapse any minute."

Wow. Long note. I should learn to be concise. Naaah.

Options, Forest Skraelings

Beastfriend 9 pts Animal Empathy (Canines, Felines, Raptors, Birds) at PER +2.

Almost have my Drakonians ready to be posted. w00t.

Doug.