Gradual Effect Vs. Defense

Kintara

When I read the description, I felt confused. It seems ambiguous. How does Gradual Effect interact with defenses? At first, I thought that you tally up the damage until it exceeds the given defense. But then it seemed like maybe it was more like each unit of damage is separate. By that I mean that the defense needs to be exceeded by that one instance of damage for it to work.

Example

A 6d RKA is spread over 5 minutes, with six intervals. The attack hits a PD of 5. The attack does 2,2,2,6,3,1.

Does the attack do 11 damage, or 5? I'd ask in the questions board, but I'm pretty sure that it is 11 damage. If it wasn't, then the intervals would be more clearly defined and more important. As it is now, the way you do the intervals is subject to GM variance.

Regardless, I think the ambiguity would easily be remedied by making the example more like mine. It does say that the defense "only applies once", but both interpretations are applying it only once, in their own ways. A defense works once, then it is defeated and stops working.

Did I miss anything?

Re: Gradual Effect Vs. Defense

Originally posted by Kintara

Example

A 6d RKA is spread over 5 minutes, with six intervals. The attack hits a PD of 5. The attack does 2,2,2,6,3,1.

I am going to make an assumption that your 5 PD is Resistant. If it were not Resistant, then it would offer no defense against a Killing Attack. :)

Your 6d6 attack is spread over 5 minutes. That means 1d6 of damage is done every 50 seconds, or 4 turns. Your first attack does 0 damage, but subtracts 2 from the 5 PD total. Your second attack does 0 damage, but also subtracts 2 from the 5 PD total. Your third attack does 1 BODY. Your forth attack does 6 BODY. Your fifth attack does 3 BODY, and your sixth attack does 1 BODY for a total of 11 BODY done.

As it is now, the way you do the intervals is subject to GM variance.

The intervals are supposed to be equally spaced over the time of the Gradual Effect. That's why in my example they are going off every 50 seconds.

Re: Re: Gradual Effect Vs. Defense

Originally posted by Monolith

I am going to make an assumption that your 5 PD is Resistant. If it were not Resistant, then it would offer no defense against a Killing Attack. :)

Indeed....

Your 6d6 attack is spread over 5 minutes. That means 1d6 of damage is done every 50 seconds, or 4 turns. Your first attack does 0 damage, but subtracts 2 from the 5 PD total. Your second attack does 0 damage, but also subtracts 2 from the 5 PD total. Your third attack does 1 BODY. Your forth attack does 6 BODY. Your fifth attack does 3 BODY, and your sixth attack does 1 BODY for a total of 11 BODY done.

The intervals are supposed to be equally spaced over the time of the Gradual Effect. That's why in my example they are going off every 50 seconds.

Aha! But you see the first attack goes off in the initial phase, so it would be every 60 seconds! Muahahah! Revenge is mine! :D

Thanks for the clarification.

My revenge is complete...

From the FAQ...

Q: If a Gradual Effect power takes, for example, 5 Minutes (1d6 per Minute), but the first die of effect occurs on the Phase when the power is used, in theory it could only take four minutes for all five dice to take effect. If a character wants to construct a power that does take a full 5 Minutes, how should he do this?

A: Well, you can handle it several ways, however seems most appropriate for the power. You could wait a couple minutes to apply the second increment so it all comes out to five minutes exactly. Or you could take “five minutes†as a guideline — many attacks aren’t very precise, after all — and apportion damage in a less regular fashion — maybe the first couple apply pretty quickly, while the later ones take more time (or vice-versa).

The incompetent normal gives a gleeful cackle at the resounding defeat of the Ultrapowerful Super. ;)

Seriously though, it doesn't matter if the attack is as you say (to a point, anyway, there would have to be a minimum interval per die, or reasonable multiple of dice, or maybe the lag would come out of extra time beyond the specific level bought), and that might make for some interesting effects. If you were making a disease, varying the interval a bit might be fun. You could even link it with a Transform or Drain specified to go off after so much time.