Group Origin -- Second Thoughts

CrosshairCollie

A while back, I had a post up saying that my next game was going to have a simultaneous group origin ... all the PCs were going to get their powers in the same way at the same time, though they'd all have different powers (well, unless through some bizarre fluke of probability, all the players DID want all the same powers). I'm starting to have second thoughts about it, though ... I hate restricting my players, and this feels very restrictive to me.

Asking the players probably won't help ... I'll just get a 'we don't care, we know we'll like your game' general response which, while flattering, is unhelpful in this instance. So, I'm trying to compose a list of pros and cons for the 'Fantastic Four vs Avengers' approaches to group origins. Any specific pros and cons that pertain only to the scenarios I have in mind for both situations will be marked with a parenthetical ITC (In This Case).

FF Version:

PRO: Characters are given a definite 'link' to one another.

PRO: (ITC) Characters will have a very personal nemesis.

PRO: (ITC) Character construction is easier because the group origin, involving Kelvarite, will have several obvious disadvantages associated with it.

CON: (ITC) Some typical superhero archetypes (aliens, mystics) will be unavailable.

CON: PCs will have very similar Disadvantages, so may seem less distinct than a mixed-origin setup.

Avengers Version:

PRO: Individuality -- characters can be almost anything the player wants.

PRO: Diversity -- you won't likely have two characters who will crumble to the same attacks.

CON: Diversity -- getting them together without pulling the old 'we all just happened to be here' schtick can be tricky.

More opinions from the Champions brain trust?

Re: Group Origin -- Second Thoughts

I've found that in a biggish group (5-8) the best thing to do is establish a sort of Kevin Bacon game dynamic.

Mr. Awesome is the brother in law of Colonel Danger whose Secretary is the mother of Kid Tiger whose godmother is Mystical Lass who grandmother is dating the father of the Human Dyamo who once worked at a science lab with Radiation Charlie who happens to live next door to Sir Johnny (note that I'm running out of cheesy super hero names here)...

In this way some of the characters will have ties to eachother (strong in some cases weak in others)... It helps to establish a more complext group dynamic and helps to flesh out the stories. In some ways it is kind of contrived but it doesn't "feel" that way to the players (most of whom will only know 2-3 other characters).

If you want to go through the trouble you can really flesh out the system by using the NPC's to do the setup or you can have 4 of the characters know eachother in a chain and 3 of the other characters show up at a bank robbery and then the two sub groups find eachother... there are ways to make it believable without having to resort to either of the two methods you mentioned.

Another interesting way to do it is to have it be like The New Warriors and have ONE character (preferably the one that seems most likely to be the de facto leader... either because of the character or because of the player) search out each of the others... This has the added benefit of making each of the characters feel special and wanted and also sets up a clear team structure with a clear team leader, which can be things that are normally a hassle.

Guest rbezold

Re: Group Origin -- Second Thoughts

You need to ask yourself which you like better, the FF or the Avengers. Whichever you pick is definitely going to affect the types of stories you can tell.

My advice? Go with the FF. It sounds like you haven't tried this sort of thing before. Give it a chance. Either you'll be pleasently surprised, or you just start over again.