Magic field names

Zeropoint

Re: Magic field names

Hey, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

So, "pyromagy" would be the general study of fire magic, with "pyromancy" being divination through fire (stare into the fire and see visions among the dancing flames?), "pyrology/pyronomy" being the more theoretical side, "pyrurgy" (I don't really know how to combine these roots) being the practical side of making fire DO something, etc.

An important disclaimer: You should realize that you're making up words now, but that's your right as a GM. After all, you're making up a whole world, nations, races, monsters, characters, gods, etc. Why not make up words too? At least they'll make more sense than some of the words they make up in that other game system. (Must...resist...temptation...to...bash... :hush: )

I made up a number of words for my FH campaign, various heraldic terms for charges and positions unique to my world.

Oh, and there's also -osophy = "knowledge, wisdom" but that might not be all that useful in this context.

It's all sophistry :)

Anyhow, I find in fantasy novels - that the use of created words really helps create the world.

And if it was good enough for Shakespeare (ie quintessence) then it's good enough for me :)

I even like books that go a bit too far with made up words (ie Wormwood by Terry Dowling).

Language is representative of the culture it grows up in - if you are creating new cultures, you should create new languages...

Yes' date=' I realize that I am making up words. I'm just trying to make them out of pre-existing pieces, the same way we get words like "television" and "microscope".[/quote']

And if you really want to be a stickler about it (stickler = pedantic nerd), you can even forbid "bastard words" like television, which was built from Greek "tele-" (far) and Latin "vision" (vision), as opposed to most historically established words that use either Greek or Latin roots, but never both.

If you really want to, you can find enough info on language rules to drive yourself completely insane! :ugly:

And if you really want to be a stickler about it (stickler = pedantic nerd)' date=' you can even forbid "bastard words" like television, which was built from Greek "tele-" (far) and Latin "vision" (vision), as opposed to most historically established words that use either Greek or Latin roots, but never both.[/quote']Of course, we should be driving around in ipsomobiles ;)

If you really want to' date=' you can find enough info on language rules to drive yourself completely insane! :ugly:[/quote']Drive? Drive?? For some of us, it's a short stroll.

A very short stroll. :doi:

Just reading Iron Council (China Mieville) and came across an interesting term-

A Sussurator : one who practices Subvocalurgy. A minor division of Thaumaturgy.

Which is basically mind control, indirect, incantation, invisible power effects. The sussurator whispers, and it is heard by the target at a distance (and no where else). The very powerful ones can reach miles. It does appear to come with side-effects, however (as all magic does in China's Perdido Street Station setting) - the Sussurator can only communicate through their whispers, and cannot therefore talk to more than one person at a time.