Looking for help with a Super Golem

Merlin273

I'm creating a Star Wars-like fantasy campaign, and my "Death Star" is a titanic metal golem made of orichalchum. It stands over 50m tall and is nearly indestructable against most standard magical spells as well as conventional troop scale and siege weaponry. It shoots a super-powerful blast from it's eyes or chest. As I put in my intro...

Once upon a time, in land, far, far away, a great adventure took place. It is a time of darkness throughout the land. Rebel spies from the Kingdom of Aldaran, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Empire. During the battle, rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Emperor of Evil’s ultimate weapon, a massive orichalchum golem, capable of destroying an entire city. Pursued by the Emperor’s Legion of Terror, Princess Aurora flees to her castle, custodian of the stolen blueprints that can destroy the mechanical terror, save her people and restore freedom to the land...

Question is, how do I build it? What would be a good DEF for orichalchum, and how much Damage Reduction should I give it? To the folks of this world, the golem should be as tough as Godzilla is to the Tokyo Army.

Any ideas?

Re: Looking for help with a Super Golem

First off, I'd build it as an full-force automaton, with decent defenses (say around 8-9 PD). Then add additional defenses (another 8-12) that make it almost impossible to dent, but with a "not against ziggalium (-1/4)" or some such. Sounds like it'd have Gartantuan or Colossal size, one heck of a RKA, and a decent computer/AI.

Then, the plans show this fatal weakness - ziggalium, only there is none just lying around. The heroes have to A) hunt down a cache of ziggalium, B) form it into weapons (bullets for a super-gun, swords/spears, grenades), then C) attack the Super-Golem and blow it up. The PCs are the heroes! [Queue Wookie]

At 50m tall it will be at about a -9 DCV, and so will get hit with most everything swung, thrown, or shot at it. People will skill levels will be able to devote them to increasing damage. Everyone on the battlefield with a missile weapon will be able to see and attack it. Several 100 or 1000 attacks -will- result hot damage rolls. So, in order to prevent mere numbers from overcoming it, it should have defenses high enough that it is impossible for it to take body or stun from any merely man sized melee weapon, even one at the limit of its ability (twice base damage) rolling maximum damage. Since STUN damage is especially hard to completely stop, making it an automaton is a good idea, and it fits with the golem concept, and with the implacable super weapon one too. Then give it maybe 25-30 rPD. At that level even hot shots off of seige engines should bounce. On the Energy Defence side, it should be able to stand in the midst of a burning city or be struck by lightning without getting harmed. 25-30 rED should do for that. To prevent magical attacks from being a danger, have at least some of the DEF be hardened. Dont skimp on the Power Defence, Flash Defence, or Lack of Weakness either. Cover every possible avenue of attack and make it proof against them.

Now, since it is supposed to be defeatable, lets talk about how that might happen. CDad's "DEF not vs Ziggalium" method is one way. Or it could be that the evil emperor insisted on some sort of failsafe, in case the golem went berzerk, or was somehow taken over by an enemy. Perhaps the detailed plans show a keyhole 40 meters up in the middle of its chest. The rebel leadership guesses that the right key inserted/turned in the hole will either shut the thing down, or destroy it. The trick then is to find the key, and someone crazy enough to climb a 50m tall killer golem. (the emperor probably has a box of 50 identical keys in his safest strongroom, to be broken out and issued, 1 each to 50 of his most fanatically loyal troops. Surely -one- of them will get through!)

On the attack side, if it is to threaten cities, it will need city busting attacks. Its sheer size and weight might suffice, actually. 50m tall (~14 levels growth equivalent) and made of metal (3 or 4 levels of density equivalent) will mean its STR should be around 100. Casual STR is then 50. Then arrange to count any movements it makes as casual STR move throughs. I dont have my rules with me, but this could/should be enough to allow it to plow through non-fortified buildings without a pause. Given its size, it will leave a wide path of destruction just by walking around. Also, if the thing is roughly man shaped, its feet will be several hexes long and at least 1 hex wide, so if it decides to stomp a specific target, it will be conducting an AoE attack also. Might be best if you bought its STR with variable shape AoE, dependent on just what it is doing. For attacking specific strong points, its full STR should be plenty. 20D6 normal will crush any non-magical structure in short order. Or you could give it a massive weapon of some sort, and justify even higher (or killing) damage on that scale. Personally, I would also give it a damage shield of some sort to prevent commandos from crawling all over it. Perhaps in addition to its 2 main/to scale arms, it is covered with many smaller arms holding swords (or with swords permanently held) that automatically hack at anyone in range. (2D6K Damage Sheild) You could have the DS limited to not attack people wearing a specific uniform (Bird poo wiper offer) since the emperor doesnt want his Death Golem (which, of course, is sculpted to look like him!) getting covered in bird poo.

Toss on some running, (or not... maybe the thing just plods along at the normal walking pace of a man afoot) and you're good.

I like the idea of a small keyhole or vent or something, The Young Hero will not have the key - plans/schematics were stolen, not one of these keys, remember - so, what if he used his Sword of Light, or perhaps some other method.

Also, on another note, let's talk about the beam it shoots...I'm envisioning it being like a laser: a prolonged beam that can cut a swath through buildings, etc. for a few seconds. Possibly a RKA 3d6 or 4d6, AP, Continuous or Instant; maybe with recoverable charges or a END Reserve for the beam.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, since it is supposed to be defeatable, lets talk about how that might happen. CDad's "DEF not vs Ziggalium" method is one way. Or it could be that the evil emperor insisted on some sort of failsafe, in case the golem went berzerk, or was somehow taken over by an enemy. Perhaps the detailed plans show a keyhole 40 meters up in the middle of its chest. The rebel leadership guesses that the right key inserted/turned in the hole will either shut the thing down, or destroy it. The trick then is to find the key, and someone crazy enough to climb a 50m tall killer golem. (the emperor probably has a box of 50 identical keys in his safest strongroom, to be broken out and issued, 1 each to 50 of his most fanatically loyal troops. Surely -one- of them will get through!)

QUOTE]

How would I do this in Hero mechanics? Any ideas? :think:

Hmm...

Susceptibility to having the proper key inserted into the keyslot & turned?

30 total (Uncommon (5), Per segment (15), 3d6 effect (10))

This would not provide for an absolutely immediate shutdown, though. The damage would have to build up til it exceeded the BODY/STUN of the golem. If the construction of the golem is written as a massive summon, the susceptibility could be a cumulative dispell instead. Even if the Golem had a large power defence (to protect it from external dispells etc) it would not get that defence against the susceptibility dispell. (it would be 6-7 D6 of dispell per segment, so the 400 point summon (1000 point creature, absolutely loyal) would take about 18 seconds (1/5 turns) to shut down after the key was turned.

Sounds very similar to the Greek myth/legend of the Talus - a bronze giant made by Hephaestos and given to King Minos to guard Crete. He walked around the island and threw any intruders into a fire. He was killed -- IIRC, by Medea -- by pulling out the bronze pin in his heel that sealed in his "blood".

Basically, his engine oil leaked out and his gears seized up.

(those Greeks had a thing for vulnerable heels, didn't they?)

How would you do that?

Susceptibility To Ankle Attacks 3d6 damage per Phase (Common)?

Heh. Try Vulnerability: Ankle Biting, 2xBODY, with this being uncommon or common depending on how widely known the design flaw is.

edit to add: Obviously, you'll need to be using the Hit Locations rules. I'd say accept anything that hits "Feet" (at -8 OCV!).

I wouldnt go with a location vulnerability myself, since it is going to be very easy to hit (even at -8) do to the great size of the golem. I especially wouldnt put the vulnerable spot on the foot, which is probably one of the places that will get most beat up on a 50m tall creature. You could, i suppose, declare the vulnerable spot to be the size of a human foot, though, and thus be -8 after the size adjustment, and rely on that, and its secrecy, to keep it relatively safe.

I wasn't planning on making it an ankle. That would be too easy. :stupid: But, I really do need to make a weak spot or vulnerability, and the mechanics designed to simulate it.

I was thinking of either

1) a button, or switch, or something that can shut 'er down (built in as a safety device), or

2) a small crawl space which leads to the magic generator, or

3) a weakly-riveted plate in the orihalcon metal that, if an explosive charge is properly placed behind, will destroy the golem.