Metric HERO

JMcL63

This is an idea I first mentioned in the 'Polishing the HERO system' thread a few months ago- removing "inches" from the game, making hexes 1 metre across, and rendering all other measures in the game directly in metres. My motive for doing this was to simplify play by removing the irritating divisor/multiplier of 2 from the rules' relationship to real world measure. The recent spate of threads about handling the sheer plethora of numbers that can define HERO characters has made me think that this little fix would be well worthwhile, so I have been putting some work into this to try it when next I GM.

The first thing I have worked over is powers, advantages, and limitations. The results are summarised below.

>[b]Powers[/b] </pre>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" width="378" border="1">
[center][size=3][b]Power[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Inches[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Metric[/b][/size]
[/center]

[size=3][b]Area effect powers[/b][/size]

[size=3]Change Environment[/size]

[center][size=3]5pts/1†radius[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]5pts/2m[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Darkness[/size]

[center][size=3]10pts/1†radius[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]5pts/m[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Force Wall[/size]

[center][size=3]5pts/1x1â€[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]5pts/2x2m[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Images[/size]

[center][size=3]10pts/hex[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]5pts/hex[/size]
[/center]

[size=3][b]Movement powers[/b][/size]

[size=3]Flight[/size]

[center][size=3]2pts/1â€[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1pt/m[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Gliding[/size]

[center][size=3]1pt/1â€[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1pt/2m[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Leaping[/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[size=3]Running[/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[size=3]Swimming[/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[size=3]Swinging[/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[size=3]Teleportation[/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[size=3]Tunneling[/size]

[center][size=3]5pts/1â€[/size]
[/center]

[/center]

[size=3][b]Other[/b][/size]

[size=3]KB Resistance[/size]

[center][size=3]2pts/-1†KB[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1pt/-1m KB[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Stretching[/size]

[center][size=3]5pts/1â€[/size]
[/center]

[/center]

</t

>[b] </pre>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" width="491" border="1">
[center][size=3][b]Advantage[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Inches[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Metric[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Effect[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Bonus[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Effect[/b][/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3][b]Bonus[/b][/size]
[/center]

[size=3][b]Area effect[/b][/size]

[size=3]1 hex[/size]

[center][size=3]--[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[/center]

[center][size=3]¼[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Radius[/size]

[center][size=3]1â€/10pts [/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1m/10pts[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Cone[/size]

[center][size=3]1â€+(1â€/5pts [/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1+(1/5pts)m[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Line[/size]

[center][size=3]2â€/5pts [/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]2m/5pts[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[size=3]Any[/size]

[center][size=3]1 hex/5pts [/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1 hex/5pts[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[size=3][b]Explosion[/b][/size]

[center][size=3]-1 DC/hex[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]-1 DC/hex[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]¼[/size]
[/center]

[size=3][b]Megascale[/b][/size]

[/center]

[/center]

[center][size=3]1m[/size]
[/center]

[/center]

[/center]

[/center]

[center][size=3]10m[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]¼[/size]
[/center]

[/center]

[/center]

[center][size=3]100m[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]¼[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]¾[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]10km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]½[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]10km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]100km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]¾[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]100km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1¼[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1000km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1000km[/size]
[/center]

[center][size=3]1½[/size]
[/center]

</table>[/b][/size][s

The only thing which I have tinkered with at all here is Megascale. A 1 metre hex made me think that it was logical to introduce 2 intermediate levels of megascale, thus making the scaling work by a factor of 10 at each level, which seems neater to me. I don't think that the overall additional +½ to the existing levels of megascale is unreasonable given the power of this advantage.

The other main issue arising from powers is range. I see two ways to go with this:

• keep powers' basic range at 5x Active pts, which will halve all ranges
  • make powers' basic range 10x Active pts, which will keep all ranges as they are

There are arguments in favour of either approach I reckon, though I tend to favour the first option at the moment. It will give a 50pt power a range of 250m, which seems about right to me.

And that's it. I'm working on the implications of metrication on other parts of the system, some of which look like being a little less straightforward than the above. I hope to post these soon. In the meantime, what do my fellow HEROphiles think of this? Is this something you would like to use? Thank you. ;)

Re: Metric HERO

My only two reasons for hesitancy with this are 1) I'm used to 2 meter hexes and it would take a bit of effort to adjust (lazy) and 2) I'd need to get a new hex map with smaller hexes--people would be moving twice as far as they used (solely in the number of hexes moved). While I'd probably not make the change personally, I don't see anything wrong with the way you are handling things.

Why not just replace every instance of "Inch" with "hex" and be done with it?

I think the 2-meter hexes are a very good idea because they allow a hex to be about the same distance across as it is tall, which makes thinking in 3-D a lot easier: moving one hex forward is the same distance as one hex up, etc.

Zeropoint

This is an idea I first mentioned in the 'Polishing the HERO system' thread a few months ago- removing "inches" from the game' date=' making hexes 1 metre across, and rendering all other measures in the game directly in metres.[/size']

[ ... ]

Power

Inches

Metric

Images

10pts/hex

5pts/hex

Little problem there.

A 1-meter-wide hex would be 1/4 the area of a 2-meter-wide hex, not 1/2 the area. So for the same Points, you're only covering half as much total area with your new Images rule.

Why not just replace every instance of "Inch" with "hex" and be done with it?
Because I like the idea of the units of measure in the rules being in metres, so that distances in the game relate directly to the real world, eg. "that building is 20m high" instead of "that building is 10" high". This would strip out a level of arithmetic that I think that the game doesn't need.

I think the 2-meter hexes are a very good idea because they allow a hex to be about the same distance across as it is tall, which makes thinking in 3-D a lot easier: moving one hex forward is the same distance as one hex up, etc.

Zeropoint

I don't use detailed tactical maps for roleplaying combat, so measuring in metres is more suitable for me really- it just makes things easier to visualise all round I reckon. And even if you were using a hexmap, with all hexes= 1m, and heights in metres too, I think that not having to translate game measure into real world measure and back again would make 3-D thinking at least as easy. I mean, how could it be more complicated?

I happily agree that rejigging the numbers this way will prove confusing to players used to using inches. I'm arguing that the use of inches in HERO is illogical, given that the rules use metric measure anyway. If this is so, and a metric HERO proves more intuitive to use, not only would experienced players get over the 'hump' of the rejigged numbers, but new players would find the game easier to learn. This is why I'm going to try this out as soon as I can. ;)

Little problem there.

A 1-meter-wide hex would be 1/4 the area of a 2-meter-wide hex, not 1/2 the area. So for the same Points, you're only covering half as much total area with your new Images rule.

Yes, I can see that. So it's 10pts for 4 (1-m) hexes versus 5pts for 1. One way of fixing this would be to move to a radius- the 1" hex has a 1m radius. The increased area for Images is a radius anyway (+¼/+1"), so that would give:

• 1m radius for 10pts
  • +¼/+2m

Thanks tracer. ;)

Because I like the idea of the units of measure in the rules being in metres, so that distances in the game relate directly to the real world, eg. "that building is 20m high" instead of "that building is 10" high". This would strip out a level of arithmetic that I think that the game doesn't need.

Definitely a valid point. Working directly with the in-game units would be easier. I've had a few hiccups trying to go from inches of flight to real-world speeds.

The only advantage that two-meter hexes have over one-meter hexes is that a character is about the same size as a hex: he or she is one hex tall, is one hex long if prone, has an armspan of about a hex, and can control about a hex's worth of ground in melee combat (but not grappling).

Obviously, if you don't use a hex map to play on, this isn't a concern at all. For those players who do use a map, 1 hex = 1 character is a good scale.

From my perspective, the deciding factor between the advantages and disadvantages of 1-meter and 2-meter hexes is this: the game is already set up for 2-meter hexes. I don't want to rewrite every distance-dependent section of the book.

Zeropoint

And out of the corner of myminds eye i see JMcl circing my upcoming Champions game with a whole bunch of rules variants, not sure i like the idea of being your Guinee Pig!

Only Joking, Well our collective game will be kicking off soon and I'm sure JMcL will let you know how the effect worked in practice. Right now however, Metric Hexes aren't a big concern of mine, speeding up combat is, working within a restricted timeframe ie an evening's worth of play one combat can easily eat up a lot more than its fair share of time.

I dont want to high jack JMcL's thread so if theres a link somebody can direct me too i'll look at that more closely.

Cheers

I've been doing inches to metres or yards calculations for so long I don't even notice I'm doing them. Having said that when I GM or play I talk in metres anyway.

"The punk is ten metres away so -2ocv for range" kinda thing.

Speeding up combat I have just noticed is a collective responsibility, the GM and the group of players have a 50-50 split air time so I feel each have equal responsibility. The GM must enforce this of course... :coach:

And out of the corner of myminds eye i see JMcl circing my upcoming Champions game with a whole bunch of rules variants, not sure i like the idea of being your Guinee Pig!

Only Joking, Well our collective game will be kicking off soon and I'm sure JMcL will let you know how the effect worked in practice. Right now however, Metric Hexes aren't a big concern of mine, speeding up combat is, working within a restricted timeframe ie an evening's worth of play one combat can easily eat up a lot more than its fair share of time.

I dont want to high jack JMcL's thread so if theres a link somebody can direct me too i'll look at that more closely.

Cheers

Well, I hadn't actually thought about running this particular rules variant in the G3 Champions game, but now that you mention it knuckles, there are players new to HERO in the G3 group aren't there? They would be exactly the sort of players whose opinions I would value as to whether or not metric HERO does in fact make the system less imposing overall.

And yes, metric HERO isn't really a concern to many players at the moment, it's just something I'd like to see in HERO6, so I guess this thread constitutes the beginning of my efforts in that direction! And I will be getting some ideas about speeding up combat to you asap, so we can decide on our methods for this together. ;)

I've been doing inches to metres or yards calculations for so long I don't even notice I'm doing them. Having said that when I GM or play I talk in metres anyway.

"The punk is ten metres away so -2ocv for range" kinda thing.

This is something I was half-aware of when I started work on metric HERO, and which this thread has already made crystal clear to me- existing players are familiar enough with the inches interpolated between game and reality that the factor of 2 isn't a huge issue to them. I wonder if players who have tried designing large vehicles (eg. spaceships) feel quite so sanguine about this (it was designing stuff for my bughunting SF setting when I first found the inches becoming seriously onerous). I'm in favour of making this change to the game because I think it's more logical, and that it will introduce an easy simplification to the rules that will make HERO more palatable to new players. I think that these virtues should impress themselves on old hands who gave metric HERO a try.

Speeding up combat I have just noticed is a collective responsibility, the GM and the group of players have a 50-50 split air time so I feel each have equal responsibility. The GM must enforce this of course... :coach:
Agreed. I've long made a point of paying attention to combat so that my characters were ready to go when their phase came up, and the importance of this was impressed on me from the other side of the fence when I last GM'ed HERO. Of all the things that contributed most to the slowness of combat provoking the frustration I endured, my players' lack of preparation for their next go was the worst. I had to take them through their CV calculation step-by-step pretty much every time. Players have to be responsible for solving these problems themselves, because no one can learn the system for them, but the GM should be helping too, by providing simplified starter combat rules, and leaving the detailed stuff for the players to pick up as they go. This is what I will be doing in the future, I can assure you! ;)

Re: Metric HERO- simplifying measurement in the HERO system

Why not just change all references to 1" in the rule book to 2 meters' date=' and leave everything else alone?[/quote']That was my first idea, and I'll be doing that as much as possible, but looking through the rules has made me realise that it's not all quite as simple as this. ;)