Kapilasa's Possession

Scott Destroyer

Question

Hello,

The "Possession" Power of Kapilasa (from Arcane Adversaries) is built as a 6d6 All-or-Nothing Major Transform, BOECV, that Works Against EGO not BODY. It gives the target Kapilasa's EGO, INT, PRE, Skills based on these stats, and mental and psionic Powers. These would give a target with INT, EGO and PRE of 10, and no mental powers to lose, a 240-point increase in character point total, resulting in a +48 to effective EGO to resist the Transform, and requiring a roll of 116 on Kapilasa's 6d6 All-or-Nothing Transform dice to get to -1 x EGO - a clear impossibility. (The power description mentions nothing about the victim gaining Kapilasa's Psychological Limitations, or his Physical Limitation concerning the need to conduct rituals to maintain his powers, though they would logically apply - perhaps the assumption was that the point totals for these would roughly balance those of Disadvantages lost by the victim.)

My question is, is there some rules exploit, perhaps in the as-yet-unseen-by-me Fifth Edition Revised, that will allow Kapilasa to ignore (or at least reduce) this huge bonus to his target's effective EGO? Or is he, as written, more or less limited to possessing targets with lots of mental powers to lose, to balance the gains and keep from jacking character point value, and thus effective EGO, up to an unpossessable level?

1 answer to this question

Re: Kapilasa's Possession

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, you're seriously misinterpreting how that power works. If a Mental Transform gives a target EGO, the Transform has to actually take effect before the target's EGO increases. Therefore the "increased" EGO has nothing to do with resisting the attack in the first place -- until the attack succeeds, the target still has his normal EGO.

The rules for Transform, in either 5E or 5ER, discuss what's involved when adding powers or abilities to a target via Transform.