VPP Pool Only to pay for more powers

Killer Shrike

Question

Help me Obi Wan Long-nobi; you're my only hope!

This isnt a rules question per se, since I know that this is not covered in the rule directly, so mea culpa and apologies for abusing this forum. However, I wanted to make sure you saw this and hope that you'll see fit to give it some thought and tender your valued expert opinion.

While working on a Magic VPP I run into a problem dealing with the breadth of a VPP as opposed to its depth.

In other words, if a VPP has 60 pool, I can get the spells appropriate to that power level in at or below that limit Active Points wise, but the sum of the Real Costs of those spells exceed the pool. I can fit too few spells into the VPP in other words.

Conceptually, by default a VPP is a square model; as the width increases so does the height. I was thinking that if there were options to adjust this behavior of a VPP to allow a more rectangular model it would open up a lot of different concepts.

In pursuit of that, since limitations cannot be applied directly to the VPP pool, I was wondering how one might buy VPP Pool that is only for calculating the sum of the Real Costs in the VPP and not relevant to the Active Point limit of the powers in the VPP.

So for example, if I had a 60 pool VPP and I wanted +20 pool ONLY FOR CALCULATING SUM OF THE REAL COSTS ALLOWED IN THE POOL AT ONCE (-1),

Q: Is there a legal/official way to do this such as partially limiting part of the Control Cost?

If yes, what is this method?

If no, might some option be added in Fantasy HERO or the FAQ or is this an area of non-coverage requiring GM fiat?

Thanx a lot, and I hope I didnt try your patience unduly. Happy Easter......

1 answer to this question

Happy Easter to you as well. ;)

Since it's illegal to partially Limit a Multipower reserve, I'm reluctant to allow that sort of thing for a VPP; that doesn't seem entirely consistent. I can see a few options:

1. Use "GM's discretion" to ignore the partially-Limited reserve rule, and then apply your same rule to VPPs. Then something like the +20 Limited control cost you describe would work just fine.

2. Establish it as a sort of house rule that a VPP can have Real Points' worth of powers equal to control cost times X, where you set X at the desired level.

3. Like (2), but charge for it by having characters buy a Perk or Talent or Skill that represents how many more points' worth of Real Points of powers they can have. E.g., for every 5-point Perk, a wizard can have spells in his pool equal to control cost times 1 plus .3 (thus, for 10 points he'd have RP = CC x 1.6).