What if END was "Super!"

RDU Neil

Re: What if END was "Super!"

This is a very interesting idea. Whatever your end is determines how many active points you can use for free.

So you have a character with 60 end. He can use up to a 60pt active power for free. Later in the turn he pushes, using up 10 end and leaving 50. He can now only use a 50pt active power for free. This would reflect the more he pushes the less power he can throw around for free.

I would personally want to base this somewhat on Rec, but I'm not sure how I would come up with a way to account for both Rec and current End given the desire for simple and quick use. I'll have to think on it, though I'm not sure I will go with this kind of End mechanic; I tend to use End as it is, or forget it if it isn't important at the moment. I don't find standard End rules all that cumbersome.

Here's another idea: why not use just Long Term End? You cannot use a (combination of) Powers that would cost more than your current End total, but other than that you just keep an eye on roughly how much End you tend to use during a Turn, and if warrented lose some Long Term End (at the appropriate rate).

• 1 month later...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RDU Neil again.

Will comment more if I can come up with something worthwhile!

I agree, I repped him and am bumping the thread, nice idea.

In Cyber Ninja Pirates in Space I'm going with a simple Fatigue system based on a Fatigue check after so many turns, and you can buy up a Talent called Tireless which offsets the increasing penalties to the roll. Just a side comment on the same topic.

I agree, I repped him and am bumping the thread, nice idea.

In Cyber Ninja Pirates in Space I'm going with a simple Fatigue system based on a Fatigue check after so many turns, and you can buy up a Talent called Tireless which offsets the increasing penalties to the roll. Just a side comment on the same topic.

Appreciate the comments, and the thread necromancy! ;)

In talking off line with Storn about this, I did come around to the idea that it wouldn't be campaign limits tied to it, but the following...

A character can NOT have a power with active points higher than the amount of END they have.

So, not just how many active points you can use for free (then you have to book keep for powers over END)... but a govenor for the character, period. If they have 50 END, they can only have powers up to 50 active points. (This would be really low.)

Once this was stated, Storn and I started looking at some long term characters in our campaigns. Changes were needed, but minimal, if we were going to do this.

High point characters (our Vanguard characters) would save a lot more points losing the Zero END advantage cost, and then buyin their END up to 90 or 100 to cover the AP/DC of their powers.

Martial arts types had to buy up the END a little bit, because I'm also including Damage Classes as limited by your END. So if you only have a 60 END, a 40 STR with an 8DC Hand attack won't work. That is 16 DC, and you can only do 12DC (without pushing.) This seems (in theory) to work as an excellent govenor.

This model cleans up character sheets, saves dozens of points which can go to broadening characters in many ways... and simplifies game play immensely. Also, you can still spend END to push (which is hugely popular in my games, because I allow pushing up to half the AP of the power).

The only problem is that this makes any defenses that cost END, infinitely cheaper. i.e. FF now becomes THE power, since it will likely never have AP over the END points of the character. That is the primary downstream cost change... which is that FF changes to the same cost as Armor (2 for 3) but then you get the -1/4 Non-persistent on it, to differentiate it.

Haven't play tested this (as I've not been running recently, but playing in a fantasy style game) so I can't say how this will work out in actual play... but I'm looking forward to trying it.