Need help with campaign ideas

xirr2000

Ok, I used to play champions a lot in high school, like over 10 years ago and I've just volunteered to GM a Star hero campaign. I'm trying to come up with some ideas for what we are going to do but could use some help.

We will have 3 characters as Heroes in this setting. I think one wants to be a super type and the other 2 want to be more along the lines of talented normals. Other than that I have nothing. I kinda liked the idea of them being linked to a ship they do not fully understand and galavanting across the galaxy, kinda like Farscape. I watched that show a few times but to be honest it kinda confused me as I did not fully understand the plot. But I liked it nonetheless and would like to incorporate it into ths campaign. So I need to figure out some reason why this group is on this ship. Is that vague enough?

I want there to be some factions in the galaxy that will give the players something to identify with and give some sense of understanding. I plan on incorporating an Warhammer 40k like terran group, with space marines and whatnot, but instead of an emperor there will be an empress, Isv'than Mal or whatever her name seemed like a good choice for that.

I think at least a total of 4 major factions in the campaign woudl be good, so I need to come up with at least 3 others that will generate some conflict or exploration options.

Re: Need help with campaign ideas

Whenever you are stuck just rip off something else.

You have your first faction figured out, right?

Good, base the cultures and societies of the other 3 factions off existing ones. If you rip them from Sci-Fi then people will notice, so rip them from Fantasy.

I suggest picking 3 of the classic 4 Fantasy Demi-human races for your cultures. Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, and Halflings. All of them have very detailed cultures that can be read about extensively in cheap PDFs of old version TSR products (Complete Books of Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes & Halflings are really great books). Keep the society and culture but change them, into humans or whatever you need them to be.

Re: Need help with campaign ideas

Watch the first few farscape episodes in order and it will make much more sense.

there are two settings available from HERO for star hero, alien wars (military science fiction setting with interstellar war) and terran empires (an almost star trek tech setting with imperial elements like star wars and the foundation trilogy by asimov). If you want something superpowered then you might ponder galactic champions set after terran empires in the time line.

There is a farscape rpg out which may or may not have lots of background material to grab. I haven't looked at it.

Or you could just extrapolate factions from the ones active in the current champions setting. Viper, Until, Demon, aliens mentioned in CKC, etc.