[Terran Empire] ISP, TSS, TIC ...

Lord Kilsco

I read my "Terran Empire" book today and I'm lost with several imperial forces presented in the book.

There are :

- ISP (Imperial Security Police)

- TSS (Terran Security Service)

- TIC (Terran Intelligence Command)

I don't understand very well the differences between these three forces, their roles and responsabilities.

Is it more clear for you ?

PS : sorry for my poor english ...

Re: [Terran Empire] ISP, TSS, TIC ...

The differences between the services are easiest to describe by analogy, I think.

The TSP (Terran Security Police) are an interplanetary police force, sort of like what InterPol would be like if it was in an imperial, rather than multi-national setting. Perhaps the FBI would be a better analogy.

The TSS (Terran Security Service) are more like the Gestapo -- they're less interested in civil crime than in sedition. They're secret police with a visible fist to intimidate the populace, but they don't get really nasty until the last years of the Imperium.

The TIC is the spy service, like the CIA, MI5, GSCB or KGB. That would be the service involved if you were playing "James Bond in Space" adventures.

The differences between the services are easiest to describe by analogy, I think.

The TSP (Terran Security Police) are an interplanetary police force, sort of like what InterPol would be like if it was in an imperial, rather than multi-national setting. Perhaps the FBI would be a better analogy.

The TSS (Terran Security Service) are more like the Gestapo -- they're less interested in civil crime than in sedition. They're secret police with a visible fist to intimidate the populace, but they don't get really nasty until the last years of the Imperium.

The TIC is the spy service, like the CIA, MI5, GSCB or KGB. That would be the service involved if you were playing "James Bond in Space" adventures.

I read your reply again and my first reaction is : there could be some rivalry between these organizations.

ISP and TSS agents could work on the same cases, for instance if a senator is murdered and a plot is suspected.

That's very interesting, and this vague and complexe organization of imperial forces seems more and more convenient to fascinating adventures for my PCs.

I read your reply again and my first reaction is : there could be some rivalry between these organizations.

Absolutely there is rivalry. How many times do we see on dramatic cop shows where the local polive is butting heads with the Feds (FBI/CIA) over who has proper jurisdiction? It creates great conflict and drama, expecially when the different bodies of law enforcement have a slightly different idea of what the punishable crime is and what the proper justice is... and who gets to carry out the justice.