Adjustment Question

Frenchman

Question

An adjustment power with the Variable Effect advantage at +1/2 can affect "any two Characteristics or Powers with related special effects simultaneously" (5th Rev, 111). I have two questions about this, the second dependant upon the first.

1- Do these characteristics or powers need to be defined at the time of power creation, or can they be re-defined with each use of the power? The book seems to indicate the latter.

2- If the latter is indeed the case, then is an adjustment power that can only affect two specific characteristics/powers (such as a drain that always affects Strength and Constitution) warrant a limitation or a lesser advantage?

Until I purchased the revised edition, I was under the impression that Variable Effect at +1/4 could/should be added to the greater values of that same advantage to produce an adjustment power that effected multiple powers of choice, but now it seems to me that the +1/4 which allows this choosing has always been added into the greater values.

I apologize for rambling, and thank you for your time.

1 answer to this question

Re: Adjustment Question

It can be either. With most Adjustment Powers, the Variable Effect is defined as "any X abilities of Y special effect." As indicated on 5ER 112, the character can switch from X abilties of the given special effect to any other X abilities from Phase to Phase.

However, some abilities are pre-defined, such as an Aid that boost four specific Characteristics simultaneously (again, see the text on 5ER 112). This does not warrant a Limitation.