Vari Lim with Limited Use question

Alverant

I have a Technomage character and I'm considering a new spell. Being a mage means you have a reason to use unusual powers, advantages, and limitations to achieve the desired special effect (sometimes to the point of bending the rules) and an urban/techno mage is more so. The idea is to create a field which causes a particular malfunction to occur in machines or electronics. The nature of this malfunction must be narrowly focused resulting in only a particular type of technology to be effected.

I was going to buy a Penetrating RKA with Radius and a -1 Vari Lim (for -1/2). The trick is that the available limitations would be "Only Against _____". You fill in the blank with a type of technology that would be worth a -1 or more under normal circumstances. For example Guns, Blasters, Gernades, Boot Jets, Computers, Radios, Nonpowered Armor, Engines, and so on. The player (me) would have to describe what the malfunction would be and the GM would decide what is effected and how. If I said "the gun barrels get squeezed so the bullet can't come out" then the GM would decide if the Viper agents blasters would qualify. The Sonic Screamer and other weapons that don't have a barrel per se would be immune until I cast it again with the FX of the power packs overloading (in which case the normal guns would be immune).

As an option if its too powerful, I was also thinking of the spell causing a fixable problem. Computer would need rebooting, guns ungammed, power packs put back in, armor restrapped, that sort of thing. I figure that would be a -1/2.

Would this power be acceptable with or without the option?

Re: Vari Lim with Limited Use question

Actually, this is a rather nice solution. The normal build would be "Only vs. technological Devices -½" instead, but then a single spell could smash everything in the area (I'm assuming it has AoE, based on your description), no mather what the technomancer has in mind.

On the second question: It seems to be more of a Dispel instead of an RKA. You could have them both in a MP or just go with the latter build. Then, Variable Limit would be exchanged for Expanded Effect instead.

Something like: Dispel xd6, Area of Effect [Radius, Selective] (+11/4), Expanded Effect [Any technological power, one at a time] (+1/4). 7.5 points/die. Add limitations for flavour and stir.

Thumbs down from me. "Variable Limit, Only vs. X" isn't a limitation, it's a Variable SFX advantage. And possibly Selective on your AoE.

Though there might be a limitation in there somewhere to reward the cool "Description Must Be Self-Limiting" aspect of the power. As your GM, I'd need firmer groundrules on what kinds of things you have in mind before judging the limitation's worth.

I admit that technically using a dispell would work better from a game mechanics perspective, but it's too expensive to make it effective. Assuming using the standard effect, to dispell 60 point guns would need a 150 active points. The concept of the power is to break (or disable) a specific kind of mechanical or electronic device in a specific way. It's a way that would work for one kind of item, but not another. A Dispell for technological RKAs would affect pistols, rifles, blasters, and so on. This concept power would narrow the focus more to pistols and rifles OR blasters and each time the damage would be different. I can see adding vari FX or an NND (defense is not having the component affected).

(Actually I don't like the Selective option because you have to reattack each hex when not having Selective means you affect everyone with one roll.)

The "only vs" limitation can be an advantage too. I had a distingeration attack (NND Does Body) which my GM made me take "only vs inorganics". I used it to cut a car accident victim out of the wreak. His shirt was in shreads but otherwise unharmed.