Triggers in spells or the ultimate in magic protection

dstarfire

I'm trying to build a protection spell that's based on dispel with a trigger. What I can't figure out is how to make the condition of having the trigger active as an ongoing effect of the spell. In other words: when the spell is active, the trigger is set, and when the appropriate circumstances occur (say 'being attacked by a spell'), the attached power activates; when the spell is not active, nothing happens even when the proper circumstances occur.

The reason I'm doing this in such a wierd way is so that the triggered power can function as a 'takes no time'/free action, but the spell that makes the trigger active takes time, costs end, and probably has a few other limitations.

for example, a 'protection from magic' spell that's built as a dispel with the trigger: 'when attacked with by a spell' (obviously the caster has to have a way to know that he's being attacked by a spell). This requires using some of the special options for trigger described in the 5er (which i found out about from another thread in this forum), to make it a free action, and have the trigger automatically reset as a free action.

Re: Triggers in spells or the ultimate in magic protection

That is the standard function of a Trigger.

Remember that Trigger is an Advantage and thus MUST be used whenever the Power it is attached to is used. The Power can't be used normally; it must be used via the Trigger.

You can get around this by buying the Trigger as a Naked Power Advantage that applies to some other Power; in that scenario you can choose to use the Power normally or with the Trigger at your option.

Personally, I consider Triggered Dispels, Suppresses, and Missile Deflection to be "Distinct Defenses" and a character can only benefit from one of each in any given segment.

This is detailed here:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/armamentsNotes.shtml#Stacking%20Defenses