How to build a Gene Mutator?

Stormspace

I'm building an NPC that can manipulate people's genetic structure and essentially gift them with permanent powers, however he can only work with what he has. (Same number of points for the person, just rearranged to suit) He has one drawback however, he sometimes has mixed results. So he only uses his abilities to correct very bad genetic mutations.

I remembered that Apocalypse did something similar in the X-men comics, but on looking at his write-up in the net book it didn't look right to me. Any ideas on how to build that power?

Re: How to build a Gene Mutator?

I'm building an NPC that can manipulate people's genetic structure and essentially gift them with permanent powers' date=' however he can only work with what he has. (Same number of points for the person, just rearranged to suit) He has one drawback however, he sometimes has mixed results. So he only uses his abilities to correct very bad genetic mutations.QUOTE']

OK, being that the C can only use the points that the target already has, then I'd use transformation.

I don't have my book in front of me, but it would be a major transformation. Have enough dice to do the transformation in one action. Have it require a skill roll, genetics. Add a fudge factor into the effect as a custom limitation, may not always come out as planned, (no idea on what I'd set it at.) Put consentration on the power as well, (upto you if you want it to be thoughout.)

Other than that nothing ring now. I'll open up my Hero Designer later and do a work-up and post it.

ohhh btw....repped

28 pt cost. Major Transform 5d6+1 (standard effect: 16 points) (current genetic's to new genetic's), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (100 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Complex; -1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4), Requires A Skill: Genetics Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), End Cost: 8.

28 pt cost. Major Transform 5d6+1 (standard effect: 16 points) (current genetic's to new genetic's)' date=' Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (100 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Complex; -1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4), Requires A Skill: Genetics Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), End Cost: 8.[/quote']

This is good. I was wondering how to approach it. In this case I've made it an IIF that's immovable and independent. It's a machine he uses to restore people that have been unduly mutated by radiation. Of course it could also be the equivalent of a hero makeover machine as well. :)

Sounds pretty good. Out of curiosity, why IIF as opposed to OAF? Presumably, given that it's immobile, etc., this is a fairly large machine (as in, can be easily perceived and targeted by an attacking character - suppose Dr. Genome's lab gets raided or something.) Being an NPC, it's not a huge deal, as point cost isn't really a factor.

Also, though not a huge deal as, again, this is an NPC and the power can function more or less in whatever way you wish, but you might want the Expanded Results Advantage, to simulate the machine's ability to give targets varied new powers (the Variable Effect advantage might accomplish this as well, as if I understand what you're building correctly, it can give one person superspeed, another fire-based powers, and yet another telekenesis.)

The only other suggestions I can think of to make this more like a machine as opposed to a "power" would be to either give it the 0 END advantage, or create an END reserve for the machine itself, so that the machine isn't powered off of your characters personal END (unless the SFX are that it IS powered off your characters personal END! ;) )

None of these are make-or-break for the power. Just nit-picky tweak stuff. Looks good! I think VIPER's genetic research dept. just got a new project in my universe!

I'm running a game called Second Sun and unfortunately like Smallville a large Meteor broke up orbit and rained down on the earth. The fragments are causing mutations in people around world. Some of the mutations are beneficial, others are not. The machine is supposed to be used to reverse or modify some of the more unusual mutations. The machine uses a meteor fragment for power. As for END, I did reduce it to 0. I made it IIF since it is hidden and will likely remain so for the duration of the campaign. I guess that OAF wouldn't change much though since it is immovable. :)

BTW: Characters Name is Dr. Gene.

20 CP

Gene splicing machine: Major Transform 6d6 (Current Genetics to new genetics), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (225 Active Points); Extra Time (6 Hours, -3 1/2), Independent (-2), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Uncommon; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Fuel is very expensive or difficult to obtain; -1 3/4), IIF Immobile (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Genetics Roll; -1/2)

BTW: Characters Name is Dr. Gene.

20 CP

Gene splicing machine: Major Transform 6d6 (Current Genetics to new genetics), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (225 Active Points); Extra Time (6 Hours, -3 1/2), Independent (-2), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Uncommon; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Fuel is very expensive or difficult to obtain; -1 3/4), IIF Immobile (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Genetics Roll; -1/2)

Funny thought that hit me when I read this:

Character's Name is Dr. Gene Simmons.

Gene Simmons splicing machine: Major Transform 6d6 (Boring person to new rock star), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Deafness; +1) Extra Time (1 semester), Independent (-2), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Black and White make-up; must refuel Once per 2.5 hour concert; Fuel is not very expensive or difficult to obtain), OAF: Electric Guitar/Bass (-1), Incantations required throughout; Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Genetics Roll; -1/2)