Cyberempathy

Brick

I want to simulate a character who has an innate understanding of every machine and apparatus he touches. Although he never studied engineering or anything else in that direction, he just knows how to operate this device or that machine. He can fly a plane or even an alien starship without really having a clue about its inner workings. Same for everything else; he can work it, but doesn't really understand HOW it works. He could repair a car but never really tell what it was that he just did. How do I simulate that power?

My approach is a small Variable Power Pool (maybe 30 pts.) to give him every Skill necessary to do the job at hand. Does this sound okay to you, or does somebody have a better idea?

Re: Cyberempathy

Originally posted by Brick

My approach is a small Variable Power Pool (maybe 30 pts.) to give him every Skill necessary to do the job at hand. Does this sound okay to you, or does somebody have a better idea?

A lot of people are VERY touchy about allowing skills through a VPP. My own house-rule as GM is that any VPP that can generate skills, must generate ONLY skills - no powers, advantaged skills, or anything else.

Another approach, and probably somewhat expensive, is to buy a basic skill level in things like Combat Driving, Systems Operation, and so forth, then buy several Overall Levels with some hefty limitations. If your GM allows you to buy Skill Levels that can be shifted "on the fly" to cover various Transport Fams and Weapon Fams, that would be a nice touch.