Shrinking & Summon

Dr. Anomaly

Question

Steve, I've got two different questions for you.

1) Shrinking. When someone is shrunk down very small -- say, to the size of an amoeba -- it seems to me they'd have a difficult time seeing (Perceiving) things that exist on a normal human scale, but I couldn't find anything in 5ER or the FAQ that addresses this. Is there an official way to handle this? If so, what's appropriate? "Telescopic, Only when shrunk" with each level of Telescopic offsetting one level of Shrinking for purposes of perceiving human-scale things/events?

And whatever the answer was, would it be the same for a character who is that size permanently (reflected using Disads & such instead of Shrinking)?

2) Summon. I can't remember if I read this in the rules (if so, I can't find it) or just assumed it...it is generally prohibited for a Summoned creature to itself have Summon? If so, is this an absolute prohibition, or is it one of those "with GM permission, a Summoned creature may itself have the Summon ability"-type of things?

Thanks. ;)

1 answer to this question

Re: Shrinking & Summon

1. There are no official rules penalizing Shrunk characters’ PER Rolls — in fact, IIRC some of the optional discussion in UMM addresses the possibility of giving them some PER Roll bonuses on the grounds that other objects and people are much “bigger” to them. OTOH, if you’re using Extra-Dimensional Movement to simulate entering the Microverse, that automatically makes it impossible to perceive into the “Normalsizeverse” without special senses, which is also discussed in UMM. It would be perfectly appropriate for a GM to apply the same logic to a character who’s Shrunk to Microverse-level sizes using Shrinking instead of EDM.

In any case, I wouldn’t think that permanent vs. temporary would affect this, aside from possibly affecting a GM’s perspective on the matter.

2. There’s no restriction in the rules specifically preventing a Summoned being from having a Summon-based ability of his own. Whether the GM will allow it is, of course, another matter. ;)