Simulating physical attacks through RSR Limitation

Smeazel

Question

Okay, after having asked a question previously that turned out to be answered in the Rules FAQ (sorry about that - I hadn't realized there was a Rules FAQ until then), this time I made sure I searched thoroughly to make sure my question hadn't already been answered. And in fact I found that it had - but I just wanted a little clarification.

Anyway, so, this is a followup to your answer to patv's question here: he asked if a No Range mental Power required, or could be made to require, an OCV Attack Roll (which is the same question I had), and your answer included the following:

Originally posted by Steve Long

If you want, you could simulate the need to touch the character with the Limitation Requires A DEX Roll -- I built several abilities in The UNTIL Superpowers Database that way. But you still make an ECV Attack Roll to see if you hit.

So, my question is twofold:

(1) To simulate an OCV Attack Roll, it seems that the RSR should really be a Skill Versus Skill - except that if both sides use DEX it would really be a Characteristic Versus Characteristic. Is it legal to make an RSR subject to Characteristic Versus Characteristic? If so, what would the Limitation be worth? If not, is there another way to make the opponent's DEX or DCV factor into the roll?

(2) To really simulate a physical attack, I would think it shouldn't be straight DEX, but the OCV that matters, including CSLs - and similarly, it shouldn't be Versus just the opponent's DEX, but his DCV (including CSLs and any modifiers such as 1/2 DCV if the opponent is surprised). Is there any way to take these into account in the Limitation? Or if I wanted to get it that close to a regular OCV Attack Roll is there a better way of going about this (see next question)?

(3) Instead of playing around with RSR to get it to do what I want, would it be legal to just use the Limited Power Limitation and say "Power Requires Successful OCV Attack Roll"? This seems very different from any of the Limited Power examples in the Hero 5E book, but the book does say that the Limited Power Limitation is supposed to be a catch-all. If this is legal, what's a reasonable value for the Limitation?

(In case it matters, a brief description of what I'm trying to do: I want a character to have a "Kiss of Enslavement" (name still open to change) that puts a character under her command if she kisses him. I'm doing this with a Mind Control Power with No Range (and with Extra Time (Extra Phase) and Concentration), but it seems to me that she should need to succeed in an OCV Attack Roll to successfully kiss her opponent - in addition to the ECV to inflict the Mind Control if she succeeds in her kiss, of course.)

Sorry for the long, rambling question; I hope this made some sort of sense...

1 answer to this question

1. See 5E 199.

2. IIRC, an Attack Roll has been used for a Required Skill Roll in the past. Your GM's certainly welcome to allow it if he wants.

3. Creating a Limited Power that's similar to RSR is questionable, since it's probably best to stick to RSR, but the GM can allow it if he wants.