Generic Heroes and Villains

CandidGamera

Again, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if there's a thread similar to this, or if this is even something folks will be interested in. My goal in this thread is to present superheroes and supervillains, without stats, so that folks might borrow them for campaigns and write them up at a power level they like. Of course, this doesn't preclude posting a write-up; I just have several ideas I never converted into Champions that I'd like to throw out for general consumption.

The Vigil

Character Description : The Vigil is much in the mode of Vigilante (the 80's DC character), and I originally used him in a 1930's campaign where gunning down the mooks and mobsters was not such a reviled idea.

What makes Vigil a bit different is his origin - he's essentially a psychic projection created by the mind of a young boy. Wendell Vicks lost his father to mob-related violence at a young age, and his latently psychic mind drew upon Wendell's perceptions of his father (a security guard) and popular images of viglantes from radio and pulp novels to create The Vigil. Wendell may or may not be pulling in some deceased soul to inhabit The Vigil - who seems to have a mind of his own. The Vigil can only be active while Wendell sleeps.

The Vigil's powers are enhanced agility and combat ability, and his twin guns, which are psychic constructs like himself. They never run out of ammunition, and the bullets they fire don't hang around as evidence - lasting only long enough to do the killing. Optionally, his unique psychic makeup may make him more resistant to some sorts of effects (diseases, poisons), and more vulnerable to others (disruptive mental attacks). If The Vigil is 'killed', the effect is left up to the GM - Wendell may suffer psychic feedback, or may be able to subconsciously reconstruct the vigilante the very next night.

Wendell isn't at all aware of The Vigil's symbiotic relationship with him.

Uses : When I originally used the character, the PCs were supposed to be puzzled as to the Vigil's identity, believing him to possibly be Wendell's father, whose body was never recovered. In many campaigns, the ultraviolent methods of The Vigil might bring him into conflict with the PCs, but it's very difficult to imprison a man who fades away as young Wendell awakens for school. Also, if the Vigil is a truly separate entity from Wendell - who is he, or was he?

Re: Generic Heroes and Villains

AWESOME character idea!

Can I "borrow" it?

Well, assuming you're not going to publish it and make huge piles of money and walk away laughing and counting your new money, perhaps using one of the bills to light a cigar or some other rich person cliche, and when you walk by me, sitting on the corner, minding my own business, eating a sandwich, then you kick mud in my face.. sure.

Other folks are welcome to post generic hero ideas too - I got a million of'em, but I can't be the only one.

Der Hund

Character Description : In German, the name means simply 'The Hound'. I originally used him in my 30's campaign. He acted as a bodyguard for certain high-ranking Nazis, and later, as an infrequent nemesis for the PCs.

Der Hund does not have a plethora of unusual abilities - he's a very skilled hand-to-hand combatant, though. His single "superpower" is the detection of parahuman abilities. In Champions terms, I'd give him Discriminatory/Analyze on that sense as well. (To further the Hound analogy, one could link it to smell) This simple ability has serious implications for PCs, though - while slipping on a pair of glasses might be enough of a physical appearance change to protect one's secret identity from ordinary investigators, Der Hund's ability to identify each and every superhuman ability someone possesses means that he can recognize unique power signatures - once he's seen a metahuman, he can forever after recognize that person.

Uses : His German background is window-dressing, so one might use him in other, more modern genres. He provides an excellent spoiler for characters who believe their identities to be safe. With beefed up combat abilities, and perhaps a 'Detect Vulnerabilities' addendum to his powers, he could make an excellent bounty hunter, specializing in parahuman targets.

Are these generics or could any character idea work?

I'm not sure what you mean - feel free to share any character idea that you'd like to share.

For my part, I'm just trying to present concept/name combination that might intrigue folks, so they could drop them into a game - even something other than HERO, if need be.

Does that help?