Internal Gold (book recommendation)

BobGreenwade

I just finished reading Internal Gold, the new fantasy novel by MaCherie Doerfler.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot (the publisher's synopsis is adequate to that task), but I would like to say that the story is a fascinating one with a wonderfully textured world -- an amazing feat for a book written by a girl of sixteen years. It does suffer from a weakly-written climax, but the rest of the book is just short of something I'd recommend for a major award (like a Hugo).

The cool thing is, the magic should be fairly easy to write up in Hero terms. Most of the active magic is Changeling magic, using Shape Shift, Multiform, and Transform with the Extra Time Limitation. I'd be interested in seeing someone who's read this book write up the effects of ghashlia ("living gold," with unusual healing properties) and the Darkness Traps of the Accursed.

(The book is available online through Amazon or directly from iUniverse -- where you can also read the first chapter online -- or via special order from your local Borders or Barnes & Noble.)