Help / fun project

Jaochai

So, here's the deal - I'm currently designing my own game setting, a sort of homebrew thing. The setting could theoretically work with any point-based system (if I ever publish a PDF or, um Gottens willen, a book, it'll have guidlines for multiple systems), but HERO is what I know best and I plan to playtest it in HERO.

What I need help with is that rules design has never been my strong suit. What I want is some character templates. In the game itself, players play as AIs who exist in a sort of statless universe, and they use "shares" to create physical bodies to manipulate the physical world. I think you see where I'm going with this.

For one thing, what elements (stats) would be wholly inside their physical bodies, and what parts would transcend them? Stuff like strength, dexterity, and the like would obviously be physical-only, but what about intelligence or ego? What aspects would simply be part of naked consciousness, especially in a world with no supernatural elements and thus no ego-attacks?

Also, what I need is templates - sample bodies for starting characters that can be picked up and used or edited slightly. Some of them should be obvious but others should be covert and not obviously anything but human. I was thinking that 150 points would be a good starting point.

Any input will be appreciated!

Guest NGD Illuminati

Re: Help / fun project

Welcome, Jaochai, to these forums; new blood is always appreciated.

For one thing' date=' what elements (stats) would be wholly inside their physical bodies, and what parts would transcend them? Stuff like strength, dexterity, and the like would obviously be physical-only, but what about intelligence or ego? What aspects would simply be part of naked consciousness, especially in a world with no supernatural elements and thus no ego-attacks?[/quote']

We are not sure precisely what you mean by the above. As INT and EGO are used for many things besides making or resisting ego attacks, for what exactly are you asking?

I'm asking for your opinion.

In my world, characters become stronger through "shares." Shares are exactly equivalent to character points in the HERO system, with one caveat - they are not earned through experience, per se, but are given as promotion (and stripped as demotion) by the agency that controls the characters. Thus, a character may begin with 200 shares, recieve a promotion that bumps him up to 250 shares, and then make a colossal failure that removes him to 180 shares. These shares can be 'liquidated' so to speak between adventures - a character may build himself a body worth 200 points, for example, and then later send it back to be recycled and replaced with another body worth 200 points, or more if he's been promoted and has more shares.

The characters themselves are a sort of naked consciousness - even skills are purchased with shares. Here is my question:

What steps should I take, within the system, to accurately reflect the fact that the characters are robots? And what stats or attributes, if any, should be constant to the character regardless of how many shares they have at the present time?

I think I understand. The consciousness goes from body to body, but the agency might not always feel inclined to present said consciousness with a ‘prime’ form. For example, an AI that does consistently well will move up the ranks and the agency will be more inclined to give them additional abilities (i.e. more points to spend). An AI that does poorly will be unlikely to receive a ‘prime’ body, instead taking one of less ability and/or stature (less points) until they’ve proven their worth. Character points might reflect the cost put into developing the bodies.

If this is correct, then of course INT and EGO should carry over. They’re the essence of a character (at least in terms of characteristics). Assuming the minds of the bodies are created equally, it’s simply a matter of how the AI uses said minds, so the characteristics will remain constant.

In addition to INT and EGO, you should consider allowing PRE to carry over. Each body should have it’s own stat, just like normal. I would go with an 8 for average and work up to 15 or so for a physically impressive specimen. The AI could add anything from 0 to 5 points to that to reflect strong personality, bearing, etc.

In a similar vein, it would not be too outlandish to allow 0-5 points of DEX and/or 0-1 SPEED to accompany an AI from body to body, to reflect that AI’s ability to act and react faster. The AI is still limited by the body, but training and experience should count for something.

Similarly, INT-based skills should carry over without penalty. DEX and STR skills might have to be looked at, but you could reflect this knowledge through skill levels instead of actual skills. For example, an AI might know climbing, or swordplay or dancing, but the body isn’t conditioned for that specific activity. A house rule to allow characters a base 8 or less familiarity with any skill for which they have purchased levels might be instituted (example: an AI is an experienced climber and has +2 to Climbing. The body it receives isn’t conditioned for that activity, but is still considered to have an 8 or less familiarity for as long as that AI inhabits it).

Martial arts and other skills might require a penalty. You might have the mental conditioning of a black belt, and know all the moves, but the body hasn’t ‘learned’ said moves and thus doesn’t respond as well. A penalty to CV and/or damage class might be in order.

[Alternately, you might institute a sort of house rule that allows an AI’s new body to reflect certain strengths. For example, an AI that knows martial arts will receive a body capable of performing the necessary actions every time. Make that part of the package.]

Psych Lims and similar disads should carry over to also reflect personality traits of the AI.

STUN and BODY should be purchased normally. Assuming the AI’s have tactile senses in each body, their ability to feel pain should remain intact. If nothing else call it ‘psychic feedback’.

Consider building each AI character almost as a computer but without the ‘programs’. INT, EGO, possibly DEX, PRE and SPD, skills, levels, psych and related disadvantages…

Hrm, hard to figure this one. 50 pts + 50 pts disads for the AI. Take that and stack it onto a 100 pt body (75 pts plus 25 disads? Whatever). That might work.

Anyway, that’s my take on it right now.

Good idea, though. A lot of interesting angles to work out but it has a lot of potential, as well.

Oh, and welcome!