pointyman2000

DDS-HERO.jpg

----

Rend!

Slaughter!

Devour your enemies!

There is no other way to survive.

You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory'

"Enter the world of the junkyard. Where rival tribes fight an endless war; vying for supremacy and the right to ascend to Nirvana. Changed forever by a mysterious light, Serph and his comrades now have the power to turn into powerful demons... but with that power comes a price - an insatiable desire to devour their enemies!"

----

Okay, now that I'm done fiddling with the mechanics of Persona, I figure I might as well try my hand at converting another Atlus favorite of mine. Having had a few minutes to think about it, DDS is actually a pretty easy conversion compared to Persona. There's a lot less funky metaphysics going on, and the powers are pretty straightforward.

First of all let's begin with the basic character:

Being stuck in the hellish world of the Junkyard, I'd recommend the characters be built with 250 point Superheroic Characters.

Base Points: 150

From Disads: 100

Characteristics: 10-30

SPD: 3-8

CV: 6-11

DC 6-12

Skill Rolls: 8-14-

Active Points: 25-80

DEF/rDEF: 12/6

One thing that all the characters in DDS share is the fact that they are all cursed to become demons. As such, they also suffer from an insatiable hunger that drives them to consume other people/demons. This cannibalistic rage is present in everyone, and nobody has been known to be able to repress the need to feed.

Mechanically, this would be represented by a "free" Disadvantage:

0 Pts - Dependence: Must eat Human / Demon Flesh Takes 2d6 Damage (Common, 6 Hours)

In addition, characters in the Junkyard are also prone to uncontrollable rage:

0 Pts - Enraged: Berserk Emotional Stress (Common), go 8-, recover 14-, Berserk

Another feature that characters from Digital Devil Saga share are their Atma tattoos. These are black symbols that could be anywhere on the body but symbollize the nature of the character's Atma (Demon) form.

0 Pts - Distinctive Features: Atma Tattoo (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Aside from being an obvious sign of an Avatar Tuner (a person who can turn into a demon), the Atma Tattoo can also denote the character's elemental aspect.

>>Elements<<

As in many Console RPGs, DDS classifies it's spells with the following elements:

-Physical

-Fire

-Ice

-Elec

-Force

-Earth

-Almighty

-Expel

-Death

-Healing

-Support

-Shield

Elements are essentially treated as a Special Effect for Powers.

Like in my Persona conversion, the characters of Digital Devil Saga are also strong to, or prone to, certain elements:

0 Pts - Strong Against [element]: Physical (or Energy) Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Set Effect [Only works vs. Element](-1/4)

0 Pts - Vulnerability to [element]: 1 1/2 x STUN (Common)

Again it is not allowed for characters to be Strong Against one Element, and then be Vulnerable to the same element.

The most important thing about DDS of course is a character's Atma Form. Traditionally named after a Hindu god (Varna, Varnani, Agni, Prithivi, etc.) and looks pretty much like a monster.

Since most of their powers come from this, I'd require starting DDS HERO characters to have the Atma Form Built as a Multiform.

60 Pts - Atma Form: Multiform (300 Character Points in the most expensive form), Inherent (+1/4) (80 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)

----

Anyway, I'm afraid it's pretty late over here so I'll have to call it a night. Please post your comments, suggestions or requests, and I'll try to address them as soon as I'm able. :)