Weapon/Item summoning (with a lower case S)

Two "How To" sort of questions I'll throw out to the wonderful folks around here.

One, how would the ability to summon a focus to you be built(in your opinion)? I.E. calling a blade back to your hand. I'm not talking about chucking Mjolnir and getting it back- that's just an EB of sorts with a unique SFX. I mean, for example, your Legendary Blade of Awesome gets knocked out of your hand or thrown into a volcano or to the bottom of the ocean. I was thinking something like Summon for points equal to the active points of the power that the focus assists, but I really have no idea.

Secondly, is Transform "Nothing->Desired Object" the only way of creating objects out of thin air? The first person to suggest "EDM to a universe where the thing is there" gets hit with a brick.

Re: Weapon/Item summoning (with a lower case S)

The first and easiest way to say "That ain't a focus. It's a special effect". If your thingy is never going to get broken or put into a inescapable box, then it's just a power that looks like a focus but isn't.

If, on the other hand, it can be taken away from you and kept away from you with some modest effort, then it is an Inaccessible Focus that looks like an Accessible Focus.

Lastly a Variable Power Pool can manifest itself as the ability to instantly create a wide variety of gadgets out of nothing. Once again, they aren't really foci. They just look like foci.

Agreed. Buy an Inaccessible Focus at least. Maybe leave off Focus entirely. Possibly use Physical Manifestation or Restrainable instead of Focus. In the most extreme case don't use any of these Limitations.

If you mean in a heroic game where you didn't pay points for the equipment, then you can buy it as a Limited Transform, maybe a Summon, or IMO a Naked buyoff of the Focus Limitation (if that is a strain mathematically just buy a Naked Advantage that has the same magnitude as the Focus Limitation you are cancelling; so a +1/4 Advantage to cancel IIF, a +1/2 Advantage to cancel OIF or IAF, and a +1 Advantage to cancel OAF).

Okay, makes sense. I like the idea of a partial buyoff of the focus limitation toward IAF- If it say, costs a half-phase action to concentrate and get their weapon back after being Disarmed/Takeaway'd/Weapon Bound, but it can be taken just fine if they're unconscious or what have you, it's partway between the two limitations.

And also, given that in superheroic campaigns, you're supposed to kind of return to a neutral state between sessions (Lose equipment you picked up on the fly unless you pay points to keep it, and rebuild/reobtain foci) then it makes perfect sense that the SFX of Bob Swordguy getting his blades back from that volcano is an elaborate ritual that can only be done with sufficient downtime.

Thanks, folks.