[Spell Review] Illuisions

JmOz

Illuisions: Multipower, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Blur: +2 with DCV, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Phantom Bolt: EB 3d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0) (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Phantom Sounds: Sight Group Images Increased Size (2" radius; +1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Fool the Mind: Mental Illusions 3d6 (15 Active Points); Cannot be maintained (-1/2), Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Spell of Silence: Darkness to Hearing Group 2" radius, Uncontrolled (+1/2); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Darkness: Darkness to Sight Group 1" radius, Uncontrolled (+1/2); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Blinding Light: Sight Group Flash 3d6; OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Stealth: +3 with Concealment, Stealth, Shadowing, Costs End only to activate (invisible) (+0), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (13 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Charm: (Total: 15 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) +8 PRE, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (12 Active Points); Does not provide Defence (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +4 COM, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (3 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Sleight of Hand: Sleight of Hand 16- (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Dex does not add (-1/4)

Hide: Concealment 16- (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), INT does not add (-1/4)

Re: [spell Review] Illuisions

Illuisions: Multipower' date=' 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)[/quote']

Looks good, though a 20-point pool throws the door wide open to much much more appropriate/effective powers - discussed below.

Blur: +2 with DCV' date=' Uncontrolled (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

Shouldn't this cost END? Maybe your magic doesn,t I dunno

Phantom Bolt: EB 3d6 (vs. ED)' date=' STUN Only (+0) (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

What about an Ego Attack with Variable sFX? Or an NND vs. Flash defense (at 20 points). I like the VsFX for illusionary attack spells, cuz you can make the spell look however you want.

Phantom Sounds: Sight Group Images Increased Size (2" radius; +1/4)' date=' Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)[/quote']

Looks great.

Fool the Mind: Mental Illusions 3d6 (15 Active Points); Cannot be maintained (-1/2)' date=' Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)[/quote']

Ouch, 3d6 of any mental power (other than ego attack) is almost useless. I've noticed that the threshold for being able to use these powers at low levels (ego +0) is 4d6. Especially with a required skill roll - this means that even with the skill roll, it will most likely not work, unless the target is an 8 ego chud normal.

Spell of Silence: Darkness to Hearing Group 2" radius' date=' Uncontrolled (+1/2); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

Nice

Darkness: Darkness to Sight Group 1" radius' date=' Uncontrolled (+1/2); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

Nice

Blinding Light: Sight Group Flash 3d6; OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2)' date=' Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

Nice. Again, I think variable sFX would be a cool addition to this spell

Stealth: +3 with Concealment' date=' Stealth, Shadowing, Costs End only to activate (invisible) (+0), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (13 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)[/quote']

Hide: Concealment 16- (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2)' date=' Gestures (-1/4), INT does not add (-1/4)[/quote'] I moved the Hide spell so I could discuss both of them

Ick. Both as a PC and GM I don't like spells that just give you skills, and skill bonuses which reflect another power (invis, in this case) also leave a bad taste in my mouth. At 15 points, you really don't have a choice if you decide that you must have invisibility, but I'd really suggest raising the pool to 20 so you can fit invisibility in it. You also might be able to con your GM (or like the idea, if you are GM) into letting you exceed the AP limit of the pool by taking extra limitations on it to reduce it's utility.

Charm: (Total: 15 Active Cost' date=' 5 Real Cost) +8 PRE, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (12 Active Points); Does not provide Defence (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +4 COM, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (3 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 2)[/quote']

An OK build, but I think the effect might be better modeled with a 4d6 mind control. 3d6 mind control is, again, almost useless.

Sleight of Hand: Sleight of Hand 16- (15 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2)' date=' Gestures (-1/4), Dex does not add (-1/4)[/quote']

The Illusionist doesn't allready have sleight of hand? It might be a good idea to have them buy the skill and then create a spell to give them a bonus.

Good ideas all around, just thought I'd offer some constructive criticism

Looks good, though a 20-point pool throws the door wide open to much much more appropriate/effective powers - discussed below.

Shouldn't this cost END? Maybe your magic doesn,t I dunno

What about an Ego Attack with Variable sFX? Or an NND vs. Flash defense (at 20 points). I like the VsFX for illusionary attack spells, cuz you can make the spell look however you want.

Looks great.

Ouch, 3d6 of any mental power (other than ego attack) is almost useless. I've noticed that the threshold for being able to use these powers at low levels (ego +0) is 4d6. Especially with a required skill roll - this means that even with the skill roll, it will most likely not work, unless the target is an 8 ego chud normal.

Nice

Nice

Nice. Again, I think variable sFX would be a cool addition to this spell

I moved the Hide spell so I could discuss both of them

Ick. Both as a PC and GM I don't like spells that just give you skills, and skill bonuses which reflect another power (invis, in this case) also leave a bad taste in my mouth. At 15 points, you really don't have a choice if you decide that you must have invisibility, but I'd really suggest raising the pool to 20 so you can fit invisibility in it. You also might be able to con your GM (or like the idea, if you are GM) into letting you exceed the AP limit of the pool by taking extra limitations on it to reduce it's utility.

An OK build, but I think the effect might be better modeled with a 4d6 mind control. 3d6 mind control is, again, almost useless.

The Illusionist doesn't allready have sleight of hand? It might be a good idea to have them buy the skill and then create a spell to give them a bonus.

Good ideas all around, just thought I'd offer some constructive criticism

No problem, good call on a few:

* the concealment power should have a lim of objects only (The character cannot use it to hide himself)

* all spells should cost end to at least activate

* The stealth bonus power can only be used on self (for the concealment, a -0 lim).

* probably right about the mental Illuision power, it will be removed and added to circle 2 (See below)

Part of the magic system is the idea of circles of power, the first (and smallest circle) are 15 active points, each aditional circle is +10 Active Point, this is the first circle of illuisions. Invisibility is a good call, so is the idea of Variable F/x on the EB is a good idea, depending on a couple of question I had for steve I may or may not be changing it to a Ego Blast. One house rule for my game however is that MD is a Figured Characteristic (So most people have 2-3 points)

No problem, good call on a few:

* the concealment power should have a lim of objects only (The character cannot use it to hide himself)

* all spells should cost end to at least activate

* The stealth bonus power can only be used on self (for the concealment, a -0 lim).

* probably right about the mental Illuision power, it will be removed and added to circle 2 (See below)

OK, that explains a few things. And the skill-based spells can become actual powers at higher circles. Concealment could become invis, only usable on objects.

Right, sounds like a good basis for a magic system. At first I thought this was a MP for a(n) (N)PC, bit if its the first circle of your magic system, then it works just fine.