Damage Reduction

Dr. Anomaly

Question

Steve, I've got a question about "stackable" Damage Reduction.

First off, I'm aware the rules state flat-out that if a character has more than one Damage Reduction that would apply to a given attack, he choses and applies just one...you can't "stack" multiple DamRed.

However, suppose I have a character who is good at soaking up energy damage (so they have, say, 50% Energy Damage Reduction) but are very resistant to electrical damage (I'd like it to be 75% Energy Damage Reduction, Only vs. Electricity).

So:

Is it possible to buy a form of partially-limited DamRed such that the character gets 75% DamRed vs. Electricity but only 50% vs. any other energy type, or would he indeed have to buy two entirely seperate DamRed powers? The latter seems a bit unfairly expensive if he's just supposed to be more resistant to one type of energy attack but still generally resistant to any energy type.

1 answer to this question

Re: Damage Reduction

I can't think of where offhand, but I'm pretty sure there are one or two published examples where I've built characters with abilities something like this:

General Energy Resistance: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% -- 30 Active Points, total cost 30 points.

Especially Resistant to Electricity: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, +25%, Only Vs. Electricity (-1/2) -- 30 Active Points, total cost 20 points.

That's not "stacking" two separate Damage Reduction powers, it's a single partially-Limited Damage Reduction power.