AoE and STR damage and grabs

torgo

Question

I've read and re-read the FAQ and searched the forums and I still can't find the answer to this question, so my apologies if this has been answered already, if so I missed it, but not for lack of trying.

I am also fond of run-on sentences.

Anyway...

With AoE on STR, the attack roll is easy. It's the damage I'm a little confused about.

#1: If I have 50 STR with AoE do I get to apply 10d6 to everyone in the area assuming I hit the target hex?

#2: If I grab 4 people in the area do they all fight against a 50 STR for purposes of escaping?

#3: How high can I lift someone I've grabbed in the AoE? I'm assuming that an AoE is as tall as it is wide and you could lift up to that height. In the case of a cone AoE that would mean 1" at the target hex, but much higher the farther out you go. In the case of a radius you could lift the radius' height at the target hex and tapering down toward the edges. I guess using some simple trig (radius * sin of the angle) you could calculate the exact height but that seems a little extreme.

#4: I'm also assuming you must perform the same actions to everyone in the area. You can't grab some and strike others. Is this correct?

Thankseversomuchinadvance.

1 answer to this question

1. Yes, the same way you would with an Area Of Effect EB or any other attack.

2. Yes.

3. That depends on special effects. If, as with Gargantua, the Area Of Effect on STR represents having really large hands due to Growth, then the character can lift them as high as he could lift anything else — the reach of his arms. For other special effects, this may differ.

As indicated on AE 159, an Area Of Effect covers three dimensions.

At the risk of sounding snide, which I certainly don’t mean to, let me suggest that any solution that requires you to use trigonometry is almost certainly wrong. ;) The HERO System does involve a little bit of math in character creation, but we certainly wouldn’t deliberately inflict trig on you. ;)

4. Yes.