Aborting to force wall vs. Moveby/through

torgo

Question

The rules on Obstacles in 5E p239 do not explain the finer details of this question. Forgive me if this information is eslewhere, I have been unable to find it.

Force Boy has a 15 PD Force wall

Flyguy is flying at him at 30" attempting to do a moveby or move through.

Force Boy aborts and throws up his force wall.

Q. #1: Where does Force Boy need to create the wall so that Flyguy will make contact with the wall?

Q. #2: What will the damage to Flyguy be for each of these maneuvers?

Q. #3: (ok so this is two questions) If different from the answer to Q#2, what would be the effect of just throwing up a force wall in the path of Flyguy while he's travelling at full speed (say 30") while he's not attacking? The book says he can slow down and stop given room to decelerate, but if he can't decelerate and attempts to do a movethrough, will he take 1/2 damage for his movethrough or is the damage limited by the fact that the FW only has 15 DEF?

Q. #5: How would he fail to do a movethrough (Fail to hit DCV 3) and how would the damage be calculated if he failed?

Thanks so much for answering all the questions on this board. I think it's incredible that someone is out there answering them all.

1 answer to this question

1. You’ve got to use your common sense for this one. Put it in a place where he’s bound to run into it and won’t be able to avoid it (unless perhaps he Aborts to deceleration or some sort of maneuver).

2-3. Typically damage for running into something would be velocity/3, but limited to a number of dice equal to the DEF+BODY of the wall (or other large object) impacted. The GM is free to alter this in the interest of game balance, common sense, and dramatic sense.

4. There is no Question #4.

5. I have no idea what you’re asking here. If you're asking if the damage differs depending on whether he breaks or fails to break the object he impacts, generally the answer is no, but the GM is free to alter this in the interest of game balance, common sense, and dramatic sense.