How do I build: Caltrops

Re: How do I build: Caltrops

Change Environment also allows you to reduce movement if I remember correctly. I believe you could build it to do a pip of damange and reduce movement.

Yes, but without some fancy footwork (pun intended ;) ), all those effects are confined to the area of the Change Environment. Leave the area, and your movement is fully resotred.

Although....

Caltrops: Change Environment, Multiple Combat Effects (-5" of Running, -2 to DEX Rolls) (23 AP) - Automatically Resetting Trigger(Activates: Anyone Enters the Hex; +3/4), Useable As Attack(Def: Regeneration, Not Using Running/Leaping with Feet, Resistant DEF on Bottom of Feet; +1) (63 Active Points); IAF(-½), Power Removes No More Than Half of Target's Inches Of Running(-¼), Activation Roll 15- (-¼), 1 Recoverable Charge(-1¼), Only Affects Targets Moving On The Ground (-¼), Only Affects Targets Using Unarmored Feet (-¼), Attached Power Ends if Character is Healed Or After 1 Day(-¼), Attached Power Stops Affecting the Area Around The Target(-0) (16 Real Points)

I wonder if that would work? It is a little bit more complicated than:

Caltrops: Drain Running 3D6 - Delayed Return Rate(1 Day; +1½), Area of Effect(One Hex;+½), Uncontrolled(removeable by spending a Full Phase to sweep them aside; +½) (105 Active Points); IAF(-½), Activation Roll 15- (-¼), 1 Recoverable Charge(-1¼), Only Affects Targets Moving On The Ground (-¼), Only Affects Targets Using Unarmored Feet (-¼), Only "Attacks" Target When Entering the Hex(-¼), Regeneration and Healing Restore Lost Points(-½) (25 Real Points)

Remember, this is for a Fantasy Hero game. Because these aren't magical, the character won't have to pay character points for them -- just money. But I will need to figure out the weight.

Comments are more than welcome on either of the above builds. I think I used the various Advantages and Limitations correctly to achieve the desired result. If someone thinks otherwise, please speak up (politely, please :) ).

I'm not sure I'd call it a hand-wave' date=' per se, but I think that halving someone's movement is far too effective to give it away for free as a Special Effect.[/quote']

I generally agree. Which is why I would like to see a legal build that does that. I posted two versions (Change Environement vs Drain) a little while ago that I think are legally built. Neither one depends upon being made out of Handwavium, or that certain optional rules are used.

How about something like:

RKA: 2d6;

[30 Base]

Continuous (+1);

Reduced End: 0 End (+1/2);

Uncontrolled: Turned off by being swept or washed away (+1/2);

Area of Effect: Any 9-hex Area, 2D (+3/4);

[112 Active]

Focus: IAF, expendable and easy to obtain (-1/2);

Fuel Charges: 4, area-based (-3/4);

Only Affects Weight-Bearing Locations (e.g. the Feet; -1/2);

Not Against Targets with Metal or 2cm Thick Protection (-1/2);

[34 Real]

And use this as an excuse to use a particular Hit Location and Imparing rules even in a campaign where they usually aren't used. (The Fuel Charges are to represent that you can use parts of the AoE and save the remainder for later.)

That's an interesting idea, using a Fuel Charge. I'm not familiar with using them that way -- would it be considered legal? Also, wouldn't the Fuel Charge also need to be Recoverable? My character could sweep them up later on. And I'm not sure that Recoverable Charges would work with an Expendable Focus....

The problem I have with the Impairing rules is that it seems to be based upon the limb's action being physicallY impared via damage, as opposed to the target's desire to use the limb being impaired due to pain. To cause an imparement in the Thighs/Legs/Feet of a 10 Body target, one has to do *at least* half that (5 Body). Luckily, the rules say it can be either before or after the hit location adjustment, as Legs are x½ Body for KAs.

So to impare Mr. Ten Body's movement we have to do at least 5 Body (after Defenses), which fortunately for Mr. TB's longevity, is halved to 2 Body. But that's still 1/5 of his Body!

1. no they aren't. The text states in a game where Hit Locations are used they automatically only target location 18. In a game where Hit Locations are not used called shots to hit locations are still allowed' date=' and common sense prevails in that spikes on the floor can't hit you in the head.[/quote']

That whole section where that is, is titled "Optional Effects Of Damage." If the GM isn't using them, shooting someone in the head has no more or less effect than shooting them in the foot.

2-3. How so? They do 1D6 Damage. In a game without Impairing rules they just hurt a lot. This build is not a build that slows the target down - it is a build that damages the target.

IMO Caltrops (of the "anti-personnel" kind) are primarily a deterrent & delaying factor to pursuit. Yes, technically they injure the person who steps on them, but the injury is to a non-vital area, and is a very small wound. Its primary benefit is that it's painful to now use that limb -- every step of the way.

And you kinda made my point about the optional rules. I want a build that functions equivalently, regardless of the use or not of the optional rules. Doing so gives my GM more latitude. He can have certain effects that could be done with those rules (like Impairing of movment), yet not have to have all of those rules in the game.

4. The special effect is you step on a lot of little spikes for an overall 1D6 of damage' date=' this is not 1D6 PER caltrop, this is 1D6 for AREA the caltrops occupy.[/quote']

True, but most people will stop in their tracks after stepping on the first foot-full of them, so it's only going to happen once. IMO that's not due to having a disabling wound, but because of having a painful one. But however it's defined (single vs multiple caltrops in one step, or many steps), I think that 1D6 is a bit high for something that small.

If the primary purpose you wish to use Caltrops for is to slow the target' date=' then this build may not be for you. Or you could rule that a character who sees the Caltrops ahead of time can move through the area at half speed to take no damage. That's your call.[/quote']

If the build (whichever one it is) doesn't do what I want, and other builds are legal and do what I want, I'll pick them. But i'm not the GM. I can only offer him a legal build -- it's up to him to allow it or not. I'm playing a pirate/thief type of character. Deterrents/delays to pursuit are very valuable to him! ;)

Well, if you're really interested in doing it without really harming them, how about:

Drain: 2d6 Running and Leaping;

[20 Base]

Variable Effect: 2 powers simulaneously (+1/2);

Delayed Return Rate: 5 AP/6 hours (+5/4);

Area of Effect: One Hex, 2D (+1/4);

Reduced End Cost: 0 End (+1/2);

Uncontrolled: turned off by being swept or washed away (+1/2);

AVLD: Resistant PD (+3/4);

[95 Active]

Focus: IAF, expendable and easy to replace (-1/2);

Can be healed with Body Healing (-1/4);

Only on hard ground (-1/2);

[42 Real]

(I dropped the Charges because you seemed uncomfortable with the, "legality," of them, which actually goes further than the Fuel Charge bit: I don't think you can put Uncontrolled on a power with Charges; you have to use Continuing Charges, and it is really expensive to make them virtually indefinite.)

Well, if you're really interested in doing it without really harming them, how about:

Drain: 2d6 Running and Leaping;

[20 Base]

Variable Effect: 2 powers simulaneously (+1/2);

Delayed Return Rate: 5 AP/6 hours (+5/4);

Area of Effect: One Hex, 2D (+1/4);

Reduced End Cost: 0 End (+1/2);

Uncontrolled: turned off by being swept or washed away (+1/2);

AVLD: Resistant PD (+3/4);

[95 Active]

Focus: IAF, expendable and easy to replace (-1/2);

Can be healed with Body Healing (-1/4);

Only on hard ground (-1/2);

[42 Real]

(I dropped the Charges because you seemed uncomfortable with the, "legality," of them, which actually goes further than the Fuel Charge bit: I don't think you can put Uncontrolled on a power with Charges; you have to use Continuing Charges, and it is really expensive to make them virtually indefinite.)

Actually, the writeup for Caltrops in TUMa has charges and uncontrolled as well. It also has Continuous, which AFAIK isn't needed because of the Uncontrolled Advantage,

I didn't concern myself with Leaping for two reasons:

1. It reduced the cost of the whole build.

2. 2D6 Drain will average 7 pts = 3.5" of running, and 7" of leaping! A dichotomy I can't explain.

Relatedly, how would one build barbed wire? I'm building a WWII-themed supervillain, basically a the product of a Nazi SS-officer's pact with the Devil (yup, he's really, really evil). I want him to be able to generate demonic versions of WWII-era weaponry, including barved wire that comes up from the ground and wraps around its victims. I wanted to build this as an Entangle linked to a Damage Shield, but don't know if that can be done. DS can be linked to a Force Wall, but I haven't seen it linked to Entangle. Can this be done? Thanks!

Relatedly' date=' how would one build barbed wire? I'm building a WWII-themed supervillain, basically a the product of a Nazi SS-officer's pact with the Devil (yup, he's really, really evil). I want him to be able to generate demonic versions of WWII-era weaponry, including barved wire that comes up from the ground and wraps around its victims. I wanted to build this as an Entangle linked to a Damage Shield, but don't know if that can be done. DS can be linked to a Force Wall, but I haven't seen it linked to Entangle. Can this be done? Thanks![/quote']

I don't see why not. Sounds like a good approach to me.