Elemental Link

Rkane_1

Think is an idea off of a previous thread that got badly side-tracked. I ceretainly don't mean to reinvent the wheel here but I think this helps beyond the kin of the normal Elemantal Control and can even add to it OR help add to ANOTHER Power Framework.

Elemental Link: (Stop Sign) Elemental Link means means that if another major power, attribute, or Power Framwork is drained, then this power too goes away. This would work for powers not normally a part of an Elemental Control framework due to their lower point value, for Multi-Powers or other powers linked to an attribute (Brick Trick Multi-Powers linked to Strength, Attraction Multi-powers linked to Com, etc), or just for powers that have a common source that logically would go away if the main power was drained. One Power, Attribute or Framework must be chosen called the Anchor that doesn't get any Limitiation break from this Limitation and all the others can be linked to it. If it is ever Drained or Suppressed, so is this power. the -1/4 Limitation is for point for point reduction and the -1/2 is for total shutdown until the Anchor is back up to par. Only when the Drained Anchor power, attribute, or Power Frameowrk is completely recovered does the character get access to these powers again. The Limitation is worth one less if the power also gains when Aid is used on the power.

-1/4 The Elemental Linked Powers Drain or Suppress along with the anchor power

-1/2 The Elemental Linked Powers shutdown completely until the Anchor is fully restored

+1/4 The Elemental Linked Powers gain from any Aid powers

Keep in mind that this does not substitute or replace a Drain with the ability to drain multiple powers of the same Special Effect but does make the character more vulnerable to single Drains. I know a lot of you have this already in their games or a version but I thought it bears repeating.

Okay.....*puts on protective headgear* Let her rip!

*cringe*

:help:

Re: Elemental Link

This actually sounds good, though I'd allow it with any powers, not just for characters with and EC or other framework.

For example, a spellcaster has bought a Multipool of spells, and three or so spells outside the multipool - because they're too big or because he wants to use them at the same time. I'd allow the character to apply this to any or all of his spells so that a Drain Magic (+1/4 one spell at a time) would drain all of the spells bought with this limitation.

I'd be cautious and reserve final judgement about the "+1/4 The Elemental Linked Powers gain from any Aid powers" part of it, especially if the character has an aid power themselves.

That presents a predicament. If I were to munchkin a character, I might just buy my Earth Powers EC and a many different powers like Armor, Damage Reduction, KBR, etc... outside the EC, and apply the +0 version of this, where aids and drains both work. Then I'd buy an aid for one of my powers - voila! Its like getting the +2 Expanded effect for almost free.

I think I'd need to do some math to determine whether or not I'd allow that part of it at all, but it does sound good.

Edit: Aaand I can't give rep to you till I give some to someone else. Any takers?

TI'd be cautious and reserve final judgement about the "+1/4 The Elemental Linked Powers gain from any Aid powers" part of it, especially if the character has an aid power themselves.

That presents a predicament. If I were to munchkin a character, I might just buy my Earth Powers EC and a many different powers like Armor, Damage Reduction, KBR, etc... outside the EC, and apply the +0 version of this, where aids and drains both work. Then I'd buy an aid for one of my powers - voila! Its like getting the +2 Expanded effect for almost free.

Don't forget to buy Power Defense so the negative adjustment powers will have a negligible effect on you as well.

I think the limitations are reasonable. I'd watch for characters placing the -1/2 version on very small powers, likely to be fullly drained/suppressed by the -1/4 limitation anyway.

I'd probably do away with the "anchor" power and set the structure such that draining one of the abilities drains them all. Under the present model, what's the limitation if I have five powers each of which is drained when any of the others are drained? This seems more limiting than having four powers, each of which are drained if Power #5 ios drained, but not so limiting to merit adding the four -1/4 limitations together.

One further thought, which is probably already covered by the Stop Sign. The GM should be wary of characters who cherry pick the powers selected to avoid linking two powers that commonly would be drained or suppressed. For example, I take the -1/4 limitation on several major powers, and select the anchor power of, say, Infrared Vision. Who has a Drain against IR Vision?

Overall, I'd probably consider this a manifestation of "limited power", with the limitation set based on how often I expect the power(s) linked will be drained without this specific power being targeted.

This actually sounds good, though I'd allow it with any powers, not just for characters with and EC or other framework.

For example, a spellcaster has bought a Multipool of spells, and three or so spells outside the multipool - because they're too big or because he wants to use them at the same time. I'd allow the character to apply this to any or all of his spells so that a Drain Magic (+1/4 one spell at a time) would drain all of the spells bought with this limitation.

Oh yeah, as I mentioned, it is for anyone who has a tightly linked power which makes them more suseptible to Drains. I use it primarily for linking Multi-powers to Attributes such as Brick tricks Multi-power linked to Strength or Attraction Powers linked to Comliness or Intimidation Multi-powers to Presence. I also use it to link smaller powers to your EC's but it could well be used for this too. It is not limited to Frameworks. I thouhgt I mentioned that but I apologize if I wasn't clearer. It was late and the White Cheddar Cheezits were playing with my mind. *smile*

I'd be cautious and reserve final judgement about the "+1/4 The Elemental Linked Powers gain from any Aid powers" part of it, especially if the character has an aid power themselves.

I think I'd need to do some math to determine whether or not I'd allow that part of it at all, but it does sound good.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that but very good point. Let me know what your math finds.

Edit: Aaand I can't give rep to you till I give some to someone else. Any takers?

Its all good. I appreciate your input and kind words the more!

Don't forget to buy Power Defense so the negative adjustment powers will have a negligible effect on you as well.

Yikes, good point. Good reason to post ideas here to get many experienced eyes looking at the ramifications. Any proposals to modify this, make Power Defense or should I just let it ride?

I think the limitations are reasonable. I'd watch for characters placing the -1/2 version on very small powers' date=' likely to be fullly drained/suppressed by the -1/4 limitation anyway.[/quote']

Maybe the -1/2 is only available if the power is at least half the Active Points of the Anchor power.

I'd probably do away with the "anchor" power and set the structure such that draining one of the abilities drains them all. Under the present model' date=' what's the limitation if I have five powers each of which is drained when any of the others are drained? This seems more limiting than having four powers, each of which are drained if Power #5 is drained, but not so limiting to merit adding the four -1/4 limitations together.[/quote']

That does seem to make them more Vulnerable. Perhaps that should be a -1/2 if draining one elemental Linked Power drains them all.

One further thought' date=' which is probably already covered by the Stop Sign. The GM should be wary of characters who cherry pick the powers selected to avoid linking two powers that commonly would be drained or suppressed. For example, I take the -1/4 limitation on several major powers, and select the anchor power of, say, Infrared Vision. Who has a Drain against IR Vision?[/quote']

Good point.

Overall' date=' I'd probably consider this a manifestation of "limited power", with the limitation set based on how often I expect the power(s) linked will be drained without this specific power being targeted.[/quote']

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Yikes' date=' good point. Good reason to post ideas here to get many experienced eyes looking at the ramifications. Any proposals to modify this, make Power Defense or should I just let it ride?[/quote']

Juist as with the current EC, I'm inclined to let it ride, but watch for characters who seem to buy off the limitation with power defense, especially when it doesn't fit character concept.