[Vanor] Artifacts of Power

Icel

Previous Vanor threads: Vanor: races; [Vanor] A Symphony of Magic.

This time I'm building Vanor's specific Artifacts in HERO.

Hakkei, the Sword of Release

"Once the Anderyan came and start using all thier magic, the Elves didn't have a choice. So they just fought, and this guy Lytan started blasting them away with his sword..."

- Jargalakz Scarazzer on the Battle of Names.

The first known Named Artifact, the sword which was wielded by Lytan, the elven hero of the Age of Slavery. It was made by dwarven smites as a gift to the elf before they reble agianst the Anderyan.

In one of the early battle of the rebellion- the War of Three Nations- Lytan discover a hidden power in his blade. After calling out the name of the weapon Lytan was able to use the blade mystical powers. This gave the battle its name, the Battle of Names.

In later times, scholars understood that objects receive a part of the wielder's mystical energy and are able to awaken. Items that belong to a long line of people become even more powerful and are known as Ancestoral Artifact.

Lytan's sword, Hakkei, was past down in elven generations of elves over 6000 year to become the most powerful Artifact even known. It is now in the hands of Lydan, the half-elf King of Tyar, who with its power slew the Demon Skazi during the Was of Shadow.

[133] Hakkei, the Sword of Release: Multipower, 300-point reserve, (300 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

[2u] 1) Sword's Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

[11u] 2) Releasing the Power: Energy Blast 10d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect (46" Cone; +1), No Normal Defense (+1), Does BODY (+1) (275 Active Points); OAF (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

[Yeah, thats kinda powerful and expensive...]

Taiyoushi, the Shielding Sun

"...in that battle the human leader of Clan Takara succeed in releasing his shield which gave him the power to overturne the balance for his people and claim the battle field which later was known as Torlan Pass..."

- Jargalakz Scarazzer, Chronicles of the Age of Darkness.

Torlan Tyran was the leader of the human Clan Takara in the beginning of the Age of Darkness. It was a time of was between all of the human clans on the land they arrived to from the northern continent. In one such battle which was held in a high mountain pass Torlan began to be aware to his goldn shield, his symble. He learnd the name of his shield and released his powers, which made a significant contribution to the battle.

When Torlan established the nation of Tyar her symble became the Shielding Sun and the shield itself was place inside the throne room of Tyar's kings. It will be used several times during the 4000 years to come until it became an Ancestoral Artifact and was used by the current king of Tyar, Lydan, in the War of Shadow to vanquish the demon Skazi.

[100] Taiyoushi, the Shielding Sun: Multipower, 200-point reserve, (200 Active Points); all slots OAF Durable (-1)

[1u] 1) Large Metal Shield: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) EB 3d6 (15 Active Points); STR Minimum 18 (-1), OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) 1

[2u] 2) A Shining Shield: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED/6 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Hardened (x4; +1) (54 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2)

[9u] 3) A Bursting Sun: Sight Group Flash 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect (14" Radius; +1) (187 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1)

=====

Thats it for now, replies will be most welcome.

Re: [Vanor] Artifacts of Power

Well, Thematicly they are fine, but the mechanics need work. Personally I'd either rebuild the sword as an Elemental Control, or just not use a Framework at all (you don't have to use a Framework the link powers thematicly, its usually just cheeper that way though)

The shield needs a complete revamp. Personally, heres how I would build it

Taiyoushi, the Shielding Sun: Multipower, 22-point reserve, (22 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) [11]

1) +3 with DCV, Required Hands One-Handed (+0) (15 Active Points); Mass (Normal Mass; -1), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (18; -1), Real Armor (-1/4) [1U]

2) Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-3 OCV; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [1U]

Plus

Taiyoushi, the Shielding Sun's Powers: Elemental Control, 54-point powers, (27 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) [13]

1) A Shining Shield: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED/6 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled ([Needs Duration and Conditional clauses]; +1/2), Hardened (x4; +1) (54 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (Only on the same horizontal Level; -3/4) [10]

2) A Bursting Sun: Sight Group Flash 10d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (21" Cone; +1) (150 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2) [49]

Total Cost: 85 RP

(actually' date=' the origional was LOS and AOE Radius, I put No Range and AoE Cone cuz it seemed to fit the sfx better.)[/quote']

Erkenfresh was referring to the sword.

I noticed you've got LOS and AOE : Cone on the sword's blast. Does that mean you can start the cone at range?

Also, it's a 10d6 NND Large AoE Does BODY. That's really strong. Does it have charges or can the wielder keep doing this?

A. Yeah, It's realy strong and he can do it whenever he wants. Thats the way it's supposed to be.

B. I thought LOS means you can fire it towards anything in your LOS as opposed to been limited in range and have range penalties.

I thought cones always originated with the person with the power. I could be mistaken though.
All area effects work the same. You could limit the power with no range to have it always originate from the caster, but that is not the default.

I think it makes sense for both of these weapons that the power originate from the item only, but it might not be what was intended. For me, Cones and Lines should originate at the source, that's why they they are shaped that way. Radius can be ranged unless there is a special reason for it to not be. That's how I build my attacks, anyway. But in their initial form they can all be used at range.

A. Yeah, It's realy strong and he can do it whenever he wants. Thats the way it's supposed to be.

B. I thought LOS means you can fire it towards anything in your LOS as opposed to been limited in range and have range penalties.

He's not talking about when he can fire it, but where. Did you intend for the cone to only originate from the sword?

Basically, does the cone only start in a hex next to the character holding the sword, or can he have the cone originate anywhere on the battlefield allowed by the attacks range? I think it makes sense for cones to generally originate at the spot where they are fired. To simulate things like dragons breath and such. I'd think it'd work in the case of your sword, too. Because if you're going to have the power orinate somewhere else, you might as well have bought exposion or AE Radius to simulate a fireball effect, right?

Thats my take anyway. Its a totally valid to build it the way you did. I'm just not sure if that's what you wanted. You could save some points building it the other way...