Build me a soul catcher

Rkane_1

This is an odd power.

It is defined as only working on spirits to "tether" them to an object and hold them for either information or to imprision them for an extended period of time. You can tether a soul or spirit to any object and they feel "pain" if the onject is hurt but it can free them. I know most would say Entangle, ecv base but what about the size factor? Does the spirit of an elephant fit in a penny? With this power, its supposed to. Would you add shrinking or would you do it just with entangle or....maybe extra-dimensional movement?

Re: Build me a soul catcher

You have to define Spirit and Soul within the game first.

Do souls take up space? have weight? Any physical characteristic at all or are they completely abstract?

Perhaps:

EDM: Single Dimension - Bell Jar/ Focus - properly prepared object (the bell jar itself)

How's this?

Entangle: 4d6, 4 DEF;

[40 Base]

Affects Desolidified: Spirit Desolidification (+1/4);

Transdimensional: Any Spirit Dimension Bordering the Physical World (+1/4);

[60 Active]

Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4);

Focus: IIF, appropriate item of convenience (-1/4);

[40 Real, 6 End]

As mentioned, the specifics may depend a lot on the setting. One of the Advantages could probably be removed in many games, for example.

If you are only tethering them to an object' date=' you don't have to make them fit "into" it. Can someone with spirit vision see them while they are trapped?[/quote']

If no one can see them, I'd add in a Stops a Given Sense Adder, and maybe add some level of Invisible Power Effects.

This is an odd power.

It is defined as only working on spirits to "tether" them to an object and hold them for either information or to imprision them for an extended period of time. You can tether a soul or spirit to any object and they feel "pain" if the onject is hurt but it can free them. I know most would say Entangle, ecv base but what about the size factor? Does the spirit of an elephant fit in a penny? With this power, its supposed to. Would you add shrinking or would you do it just with entangle or....maybe extra-dimensional movement?

There are actually rules for this. Check out Hero System Almanac 1.

Basically it's Shift Spirit, Minor Transform, Based on EGO CV, AVLD (Spirit Defense). You could use Major Transform, but then the cost get really high.

Spirit Defense is Power Defense bought with a +1/2 advantage.

You also need a way to target or detect the spirit. This is a standard detect, 3 points for Detect Spirit. Don't forget to add AoE, Discriminatory, and Ranged if you want a full targeting sense.

By default, Shift Spirit will both bind a spirit as well as free one. It can also be used for Astral Projection (free a spirit bound to a living body) as well as possession (bind a free spirit to a living body) or even mind transfer or the like. If you only want a power to bind spirits to objects, that might be worth -1 to -2 or so.

How's this?

Entangle: 4d6' date=' 4 DEF;[indent'][40 Base]

Transdimensional: Any Spirit Dimension Bordering the Physical World (+1/4);

[60 Active]

Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4);

[40 Real, 6 End]

[/indent]As mentioned, the specifics may depend a lot on the setting. One of the Advantages could probably be removed in many games, for example.

I'd drop the Cannot Form Barriers Lim and define it as an area (which could be as small as, say, a ring) which prevents spirits from moving through it. If it's small, it's not going to be a big deal for spirits to go around, and that could symbolize their ability to sense spirit traps.

Maybe something like:

Entangle: 4d6, 4 DEF [40 Base]

*Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4);

[60 Active]

Only Affects Spirits (-3/4)

[30 Real (10 in TA), 6 End]

*Yes, I am aware this is a Body-Changing Advantage only; I find it really useful, though, so I tend to use it a lot. I'm also fond of the idea of END Burnout (-1/4) which would render any END used on a given power to be unREC-able for a given period of time, probably a ful night's rest or some such.

I'm also fond of the idea of END Burnout (-1/4) which would render any END used on a given power to be unREC-able for a given period of time' date=' probably a ful night's rest or some such.[/quote']

I use a custom Advantage called Costs Long Term End (-2), which becomes a -1 if it only applies to the activation of a Constant power. The semantics are obvious. :)