Affective Responses to Mental Illusions

wylodmayer

Question

Steve,

Although of course I realize we are free to run our games as we see fit, I am curious as to a certain aspect of the implementation of Mental Illusion *as intended by the writer(s)*. Here's my question:

Certainly, Mental Illusion can be used to make a piece of food taste "salty" or "sweet" or "just like a fast food Apple Pie," but can it make the item taste "good" or "bad"? That is to say, can you specify an affective, subjective sensation, rather than a more-or-less quantifiable, objective one?

If the power were Images, I wouldn't even be asking the question - clearly, the Image produced must be objectively quantifiable. But the nature of Mental Illusion leaves the question open in my mind, especially since it seems to be the best suited of the mental powers for that sort of thing; using Mind Control to make someone think a particular piece of food tastes "disgusting" - *whatever that means to the target* - seems overkill. Besides, even given a subjective sensation, the use of Mental Illusion does not specify a reaction or compel a particular response. A stoic sort might choke the thing down and smile anyway. On the other hand, I can see Mind Control making someone act as though they find a piece of food disgusting, whether they actually do or not.

I don't think this crosses into emotion control, either, which is clearly the purvue of Mind Control, as, again, it does not specify a response, even in a roundabout way, but rather only picks out a certain yet nonetheless subjectively defined stimulus.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.

1 answer to this question