New Pulp Books I Found

Fazhoul

I looked around here and didn't see any of these books mentioned so I thought I'd bring them to everyone's attention. Amazon recently took a good deal of my money for these and I'm looking forward to reading them. As I get time to read them I'll try to let you know how they are.

074328785101ss500sclzzzzzzzv57.jpg

Chinatown Death Cloud Peril - Paul Malmont: Malmont's debut thriller reads like pages torn from the pulp magazines to which it pays nostalgic homage. It's 1937, and the nation's two top pulp writers—William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savage—are trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles and offer piquant observations on the penny-a-word writing life that conjure a colorful sense of time and place. Like the pulpsters he reveres, Malmont doesn't let the facts get in the way of his storytelling, and the result is a fun, if wildly improbable, pulp joyride.

193226513901ss500sclzzzzzzzv12.jpg

Adventure, vol. 1 - Edited by Chris Roberson: ADVENTURE, the first volume of an annual anthology of original fiction in the spirit of early twentieth-century pulp fiction magazines, features stories from all genres, promising both literary sophistication and pulse-pounding action. Contributors to the first volume, among them leading lights and award-winners in the fields of science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, and western, include John Edward Ames, Lou Anders, Neal Asher, Kage Baker, Barry Baldwin, O'Neil De Noux, Paul Di Filippo, Mark Finn, Michael Kurland, John Meaney, Michael Moorcock, Chris Nakashima-Brown, Kim Newman, Mike Resnick, Chris Roberson, Matthew Rossi, and Marc Singer.

193065820601ss500sclzzzzzzzv50.jpg

Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales - Lester Dent: Lester Dent penned many pulp adventures before he created Doc Savage in 1933 under the house name Kenneth Robeson. Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales collects five airship-themed stories published from 1930 to 1932, and includes material restored from Dent's original manuscripts!

"Zeppelin Bait": Jed Day, American Great War flyer, is framed for spying for a notorious German Zeppelin Captain! Originally published in the October 1932 issue of Sky Birds.

"Blackbeard's Spectre": Zeppelin pirates steal the passenger dirigible City of Oakland before its maiden flight to Japan! One of Dent's first published works, it originally appeared as "The Thirteen Million Dollar Robbery" in the March 1930 issue of The Popular Magazine.

"Peril's Domain": Bill Kirgan battles a pirate band on a Zeppelin en route to the Arctic! Originally published under the title "The Frozen Flight" in the February 1931 issue of Air Stories.

"Helene Was A Cannibal": What menaces the flight of Germany's newest Zeppelin, the Vaterland? Originally published as "Teeth of Revenge" in the May 1931 issue of Scotland Yard.

"A Billion Gold!": A private dick gets mixed up in a Zeppelin-sized scheme in New York City! Originally published as "One Billion-Gold!" in the June 1931 issue of Scotland Yard.

097205477401ss500sclzzzzzzzv10.jpg

All Star Zeppelin Adventure Stories - Edited by David Moles & Jay Lake: A showcase for the finest in contemporary retro-pulp. Includes Benjamin Rosenbaum’s Hugo-nominated novelette, “Biographical Notes to ‘A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with Air-Planes’” and Howard Waldrop’s classic Jazz Age alternate history “You Could Go Home Again.”

Re: New Pulp Books I Found

I looked around here and didn't see any of these books mentioned so I thought I'd bring them to everyone's attention. Amazon recently took a good deal of my money for these and I'm looking forward to reading them. As I get time to read them I'll try to let you know how they are.

074328785101ss500sclzzzzzzzv57.jpg

Chinatown Death Cloud Peril - Paul Malmont: Malmont's debut thriller reads like pages torn from the pulp magazines to which it pays nostalgic homage. It's 1937, and the nation's two top pulp writers—William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savage—are trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles and offer piquant observations on the penny-a-word writing life that conjure a colorful sense of time and place. Like the pulpsters he reveres, Malmont doesn't let the facts get in the way of his storytelling, and the result is a fun, if wildly improbable, pulp joyride.

193226513901ss500sclzzzzzzzv12.jpg

Adventure, vol. 1 - Edited by Chris Roberson: ADVENTURE, the first volume of an annual anthology of original fiction in the spirit of early twentieth-century pulp fiction magazines, features stories from all genres, promising both literary sophistication and pulse-pounding action. Contributors to the first volume, among them leading lights and award-winners in the fields of science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, and western, include John Edward Ames, Lou Anders, Neal Asher, Kage Baker, Barry Baldwin, O'Neil De Noux, Paul Di Filippo, Mark Finn, Michael Kurland, John Meaney, Michael Moorcock, Chris Nakashima-Brown, Kim Newman, Mike Resnick, Chris Roberson, Matthew Rossi, and Marc Singer.

193065820601ss500sclzzzzzzzv50.jpg

Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales - Lester Dent: Lester Dent penned many pulp adventures before he created Doc Savage in 1933 under the house name Kenneth Robeson. Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales collects five airship-themed stories published from 1930 to 1932, and includes material restored from Dent's original manuscripts!

"Zeppelin Bait": Jed Day, American Great War flyer, is framed for spying for a notorious German Zeppelin Captain! Originally published in the October 1932 issue of Sky Birds.

"Blackbeard's Spectre": Zeppelin pirates steal the passenger dirigible City of Oakland before its maiden flight to Japan! One of Dent's first published works, it originally appeared as "The Thirteen Million Dollar Robbery" in the March 1930 issue of The Popular Magazine.

"Peril's Domain": Bill Kirgan battles a pirate band on a Zeppelin en route to the Arctic! Originally published under the title "The Frozen Flight" in the February 1931 issue of Air Stories.

"Helene Was A Cannibal": What menaces the flight of Germany's newest Zeppelin, the Vaterland? Originally published as "Teeth of Revenge" in the May 1931 issue of Scotland Yard.

"A Billion Gold!": A private dick gets mixed up in a Zeppelin-sized scheme in New York City! Originally published as "One Billion-Gold!" in the June 1931 issue of Scotland Yard.

097205477401ss500sclzzzzzzzv10.jpg

All Star Zeppelin Adventure Stories - Edited by David Moles & Jay Lake: A showcase for the finest in contemporary retro-pulp. Includes Benjamin Rosenbaum’s Hugo-nominated novelette, “Biographical Notes to ‘A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with Air-Planes’” and Howard Waldrop’s classic Jazz Age alternate history “You Could Go Home Again.”

Cool "Fazhoul" ! I think that I have "Adventure" but the Zepplin stories look good. Might try and order them.:thumbup:

I got a chance to read one of the stories in the "All-Star Zeppelin" book. It was "The Last of the Zeppelins" by Jed Hartman and it was a fun story. It has Nazis, death rays, women in peril. In other words, all the pulp cliches. I was skimming through the book when I saw the hero's name in the first line of the story. Hugh Betcha. I HAD to keep reading. :)

I looked up the author online and it turns out that he got the idea from a pulp rpg he took part in one time. You can find his online journal with the full details here. My favorite character description was this one. "General Garrulous Bore, an elderly British Adventurer whose quasi-superpower was that he could be skilled in just about anything as long as he told a long boring story about how he used that skill back in the war, or during some other adventure."

I can vouch for the Lester Dent collection - we just bought it a few weeks ago and it is great stuff. I especially like the one where the airship engineer is trapped in his ship when it is stolen. It goes into fine detail about how to hide and fight in the surprisingly tight confines of a zeppelin.

Prime stuff for Pulp Hero people - and this from someone who's been running an airship-based campaign for many years!