Spell Search

Shike019

OK, I'm posting here as I figure that this is the place to get the most use out of it. I have created a MySQL Database and PHP program to search spells. I currently only have one spell, but will be adding to it. Also on my website there is a submission form if anyone wants to contribute.

My website is http://shike.frih.net There is a link to the spell search in the update "blog". Also, you can navigate to it via the menu's (my website has browser support information for the menus.

So please, if anyone wants to contribute, click the "Submission Form" link on my website.

Re: Spell Search

I was actually planning on asking that very question, especiall of Killer Shrike and Fitz. Of course all spells would have their creator's (or adapter's) name(s).

[edit]

If anyone wants to get a feel for the search interface. Use the D&D version *ducks head* as it has more spells (inputing the SRD). This way you can get a feel for the capabilities of the search.

BTW: I'm still figuring out how to do multiple pages of results, so I currently have the limit set at 2000 ;)

[/edit]

I'm not very familiar with SQL, unfortunately - tending always to use other's code for databases rather than writing my own (such as for the open lending database for my DVDs and things). So I don't know how to return results from 2000 - end or whatever in a PHP page.

On the other hand, the database I just mentioned does do multiple pages, so I'll have a look at that :)

http://opendb.iamvegan.net/

Yep. But it's installed on my site and I have the source code. Likewise as it's open source - it's available from that second link I posted (if you wished to have a look yourself).

I just had a look and I need to upgrade my version anyway, so will be patching it.

Make it a form post to the page (ie to itself).

Create a "list" page for the spells that defines which ones to show with variables (and also prints out the list), then have a prior and next link that submits a form to that page which changes the variables incrementally.

OpenDB does this in a simpler manner by calling javascript functions with links (ie link name) and the form is actually submitted in the javascript procedure.

Currfea, I actually based it off of the Voyager Online Catalog combined witht he Proquest Database Advanced Search. I will, I think, get some more spells in of my own. If you click on my name under "source" you will be sent to my comments form. If you have ideas about improving either the Spell output format, or the content of my spell ideas please go ahead and fill out the form. If you want a spell added, go to my homepage, (http://shike.frih.net/) and click on the submission form, read the instructions for submissions and fill out the form.