Excerpts from Journal found in an abandoned house

Susano

I have before me fragments of Abdul Alhazred's unspeakable book, which I shall copy here to preserve them and to comment on my findings. These pages were taken from a copy of Olaus Wormius' forbidden translation of that text, written in the Low Latin. I have translated the passages as best I could, and hope to bring them here, to study and understand them.

Can Man live forever? Is it possible? I find this passage particularly telling in this reguard.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange aeons even death may die.

These words were written by that mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, also known by some as Abd al-Azrad (the worshiper of the great devourer). What does this passage mean? Although this is the phrase most us are aware of, the original text reads far different. Written in English it looks as such --

la mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqa sarmadi

fa itha yaji ash-shuthath al-mautu qad yantahi

or --

That thing which is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,

And if the strange ones come, then death may cease to be.

Obviously, when the Old Ones return, the faithful will be granted eternal life, and will live forever. It to this aim that I work. Eternal life has been a goal sought by many sorcerers, both in the West and the East, but I feel that I shall obtain it fully, and thus unlock the Secrets of the Universe.

I feel that given the right formulas and methods, I too can prolong my life, and overcome the limitations of the Flesh. I have directed my aims to this end, and feel that given sufficent drive and strong enough will, it can be accomplished.

I have stood upon the shore and cast my calls into the ocean waters. I hope to be answered and enlightned, for armed with Knowledge I shall bring the Universe to my feet, and command great powers that those who call themselves sorcerers and magicians fear to speak about. Such fools they.

Hereforth I shall note the words of power, so that I do not forget them --

IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN! PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NNAGL FHTAGN!

Ia R'lyeh!

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Ia! Ia!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

In his house in R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu lays sleeping.

This following passage proves to me what I have always suspected, that Yog-Sothoth is the Key to Understanding the Universe. That he is all and one, everywhere and no where. That he, and only he commands all of Time and Space, and that he is the one who I must succor if I am to gain the power I ask for.

Nor is it to be thought that man is either the oldest or the last of earth's masters, or that the common bulk of life and substance walks alone. The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we know, but between them, they walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen. Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod Earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as they tread... As a foulness, shall ye know Them. Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not; and their habitation is even one with your guarded threshold. Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once; They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall they reign again.

"After summer is winter, after winter summer."

I found that this note of the cycle of the seasons to be repeated elsewhere, in manny other passages. It might simply mean that time marches on, or it may have other meanings, as I see here --

"The Yellow Sign rises. The stars move. The time of man has ended. After winter, summer, after summer, winter."

I must find more of the Yellow Sign. Is it in reference to that banned book of poetry and it's most horrific play? I think so, it is mentioned here in this passage --

Hail, Hail, the city of Sorrows is fallen, the Pallid Mask is shattered, the Regent driven forth! Cast off your grey and dismal shells and walk once more in the light. Let us build the city of Joy and rejoice in the dawning of new hope. After winter summer, and after summer winter, and after winter, summer comes once more. The King in Yellow is dead.

Is the Pallid Mask the King in Yellow or someone else? Who is the King in Yellow? As I understand, the King in Yellow is known by his Sign, which brings madness.

Does this passage mean that the King must die to open the gate and call forth his brethern? But there is more on these End Times, as I have found here --

And the day shall come when the endless weaver shall complete his creation and cross the abyss which shielded the world from him and once more gaze upon the sun. And he shall sound the call, awakening his ancient enemy friends to come forth. The heights will sink and the deeps will rise; the veils will be parted and what is known will be occulted; the dead shall walk and the living shall die.

Well, I shall not die, that much I am sure of!

I have heard that wisdom may be learned by those who can call forth men who survived the sinking of Atlantis. That a race of men still live far under the waves, using magic and science to survive. I shall attempt to call forth one of these men, if I can, and see what secrets he will reveal.

I have made repeated attempts to call these men to me, but I fear that this arm of the Bay is too shallow to harbor those I seek, and I must venture north, to Massachusetts, where I have heard there is a Place, to make my calls.

I shall write more of this later, once I have learned something.

N'gai, n'gha'ghaa, bugg-shoggog, y'hah;

Yog-Sothoth, Yog-Sothoth

If I understand my research, this incantation will bring back the dead.

Y'AI 'NG'NGAH,

YOG-SOTHOTH

H'EE--L'GEB

F'AI THRODOG

UAAAH

OGTHROD AI'F

GEB'L--EE'H

YOG-SOTHOTH

'NGAH'NG AI'Y

ZHRO

Ah! If only I could find the formula for the salts! Such power I could possess!!

Ah! Yes... this fragment speaks of what I wish to know. The secrets of Etenral Life come closer and closer!

It is verily known by few, but is nevertheless an attestable fact, that the will of a dead sorcerer hath power upon his own body and can raise it up from the tomb and perform therewith whatever action was unfulfilled in life. And such resurrections are invariably for the doing of malevolent deeds and for the detriment of others. Most readily can the corpse be animated if all its members have remained intact; and yet there are cases in which the excelling will of the wizard hath reared up from death the sundered pieces of a body hewn in many fragments, and hath caused them to serve his end, either seperately or in a temporary reunion. But in every instance, after the action hath been completed, the body lapseth into its former state.

I despair... for all I have are notes, but no text. Still, this gives me an idea of what I am searching for --

A spell for bringing about the resurrection of the body

Meditations on ghouls

Collecting moonsilver

The Scimitar of Barzai

Gorgo and Mormo

How to turn gold into lead

Commentary on the elder prophecy of the rise of the new gods of Earth, as shown in various textes

Only the first is of any import, if only I could find it. I do think this would be the formula for salts.

Ya na kadishtu nilgh'ri stell'bsna Nyogtha,

K'yarnak phlegethor l'ebumna syha'h n'ghft,

Ya hai kadishtu ep r'luh-eeh Nyogtha eeh,

S'uhn-ngh athg li'hee orr'e syha'h.

I dare not chant this now. I am not ready.

I have, as I desired, traveled north of Boston, to where the town of Insmouth once sat. I found it to be a disreputable ruin, stinking of fish and saltwater. The town is weedy and overgrown, and all but abandonded. I am surprised it has not been razed in this day and age.

As I was in the company of those whose aid I needed, I did make my call, and was rewarded. How shall I describe what I saw? I cannot, save to say that this survivor of Atlantis was a man and not a man, a fish and not a fish, a reptile and not a reptile. I did speak and trade with Them, but shall not do so again. They have not what I speak, and their appearence unnerves me.

As I watched, the two dozen men and women stripped down to nakedness, and daubed themselves with paint. As they did so, the others erected nine monoliths, one for each of the planets, in a great V which encompassed the field. With ochre and woad, they painted runes upon each, to sign out the planets of the heavens above, and runes for the stars upon which they would call. Each of the pillars was a pentagonal cylinder, tipped with a pentagram, in which was inscribed the Sign of their Master.

Then the leader, a great priest who wore a black hood and nothing else, held aloft the sacred knife over the altar, which stood for the Earth. Upon the altar sat a bowl half-filled with water, and he chanted over it, calling it Hali, the great lake where dwelt He Who Is Not To Be Named. As the worshippers writhed and chanted and had their pleasures of one another around him, his fivefold Elementals each blew a whistle, and Angels descended from the heavens, their black wings covered with the frost of space. They were the Angels of the Nine Worlds, and they took up their posts, each upon his sacred station.

Then the Elementals bent and took up a sacrifice, a man who screamed and flailed and cried out for succor. It pierced my heart, and if I had not feared retribution, I would have aided him. Strange how one who has renounced the weaknesses of the human race can sometimes be overcome by them. I had watched men ground beneath great wheels and laughed to see them cry, yet now, I felt pity for him.

The Angels joined the cry, and lifted their eyes to the heaven to gaze upon their home world, Aldebaran, which hung just above the horizon across the plain. And then the priest sliced one of the Chosen One's wrists, and let his blood drain into the lake of Hali, that the Master and Prisoner of Carcosa might drink the stuff of life and cross the frozen void that protects us from him.

I cannot speak of his coming, for words fail me, but be assured, He Cannot Be Named, but He CAN be seen, if one takes the precaution of preparing the preparation often associated with the great scholar Ibn Ghazi...

Excerpted from Page 305 of "Unausprelichten Kulten,"

by Friedrich Wilhelm von Junzt, 1839 Quarto Edition.

Na'ghimgor thdid lym.

Myn th'x barsoom lu'gndar.

In'path gix mth'nabor.

In'path nox vel'dekk.

Yig sudeth M'cylorum.

M'xxlit kraddath Soggoth im'betnk.

Nog s'dath blexmed!

translation --

You will leave this spot, which spot denies the logic of your coming and going, and you will take, in the Name of the Nameless One, all your minions and their devices with you. And even the uttering of your name will be lost to this world until Time has eaten its Own Head.

Now I may banish that which I call up.

I have worked with the Salts, but my experiments are a failure. I do not bring back the dead, but instead summon such a wretchedness that I cannpt being to describe it. I am glad the Bay is so close and that the blue crabs so greedy. Of course, if it is found, no one will know what to make of it, but I still feel safer weighting it down.

I have done much research, and feel I am ready to call forth a Star-Walker. One of those shambling creatures that walk between the Gates and Worlds, and prey upon those who are unaware and foolish to ventre where they should not.

One should call a Star-Walker once the sun had gone down, and it is best to do so with no moon. Have a Knife of pure metal ready, not an alloy, or the spell will surely fail (mine is of pure iron). Make the Voorish sign over the blade to ensure success.

Repeat the following for some 15 to 30 minutes --

Hergekommen... Sie wünschen einiges... Hier ich etwas für Sie Recht in dem erhielt... Wünschen Sie einiges auch... Hier haben Sie einiges... Das ist es Mann, Spiel rüber...

As you chant, a Figure will form out of the air, use the knife to cut the Figure free from the air,and allow it to fully form. Once the Star-Walker has formed, then it is yours to command.

I have summonded forth a Star-Walker, and am less one enemy for it.

Does this speakof now? Or a time yet to come? I see that this is the same passage that I copied in here before, but I have now found many forms of this passage.

And the day shall come when the endless weaver shall complete his creation and cross the abyss which shielded the world from him and once more gaze upon the sun. And he shall sound the call, awakening his ancient enemy friends to come forth. The heights will sink and the deeps will rise; the veils will be parted and what is known will be occulted; the dead shall walk and the living shall die.

The same passage as seen in other books --

The Stars move in their courses, and the heavens sing the music of the spheres. The time has come for the hidden to be made clear, for the mountains to fall and the valleys to rise. Let the book of truth be opened, and the thirteen verses sung.

And lo, the Key and the Gate comes. None may master him, yet he hesitates not to stoop to conquer. He is the Opener of the Way, and with its opening, his fellows shall look forth and gaze upon this world. Woe to those who gaze back.'

The Opener of the Way would be Yog-sothoth.

Lo, the trumpet sounds. The weaver's webs are rent, the stars have fallen, the great beast is slain, the drinker of blood's many tongues lap no more, and even the great lord of dreams has been cast down. The new generation of gods has risen and cast down the old ones. Let us rejoice.

Interesting. This passage reads quiet differently if seen in the complete version.

Lo, the trumpet sounds. The weaver's webs are rent, the stars have fallen, the great beast is slain, no more to lap up blood with many tongues, and even the great dreaming lord of the deep has been cast down. The new generation of gods has risen and cast down the old ones. Let us rejoice', said the Herald of the Outer Gods to his idiot masters at the heart of creation, as they danced to the endless tuneless flautings of toad-like servitors. And the Outer Gods danced, for their will had been done. All had come to pass according to their will. Those who might have turned aside their purpose had been turned to serve it instead. And so their servant smiled contemptuously at them as they danced and laughed at their joy, for he knew that all things crumble, even them. But then he cast aside his mask of reason for a time, and joined the dance, to rest himself until it was time for further labors.

IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN! PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NNAGL FHTAGN!

Re: Excerpts from Journal found in an abandoned house

Ohhh ! Fun ! I'm not running a "horror" pulp campaign per se, but a little bit of the supernatural never hurts. Actually the P Cs are in Haiti investigating a "ghost ship" at the moment and I still have to decide (within the next three weeks or so) how much of it is genuine and how much super science trickery. Hmmm !:eg: