Magic System Questions #5---the real one

Kortay Mirlor

Re: Magic System Questions #5---the real one

I might build that as a Compound power, starting with just normal missile deflection. then the Reflection Adder as a seperate "power" with Time Delay (or perhaps delayed effect) (Missile is "Reflected" on [timescale X] after being "intercepted"] Naturally you would also need the adder "Reflect At Any Target", and then flavor the whole thing with limitations to taste.

This would create a power that lets you intercept an incomming missile, and then reflect it anywhere you want on a later phase. but to do the reflection you would have to have gone into Missile Reflection mode on your own phase (or by holding you action), you can't abort to it.

Reason From Effect.

If you're absorbing power and then redirecting it, that's Absorb (which deserves more coverage than it gets, considering all the uses for the freaking power). Remember, in HERO, that it's a sort of "form/function" thing. If you're a ... Lightning Mage or some noise, and you convert all Kinetic Energy into Electricity to fire back at people later, then it's:

Absorb (X), Y Multiplier (this is so you can absord a total capacity over your Absorb dice); Kinetic Energy Only (-1), Only for Casting Lightning Spells (-1/2), Requires an Activation Roll (-1/2), Must be Aware of Attack (-1/2)

Or something close to that. But you then build an attack which represents whatever you just did, as being Linked to the Absorb, or with the limitation "only draws power from Absorb pool." And you're good to go. Although my knowledge of absorb may be hazy, I think that's a rough guide as to how to do it.

I might build that as a Compound power' date=' starting with just normal missile deflection. then the Reflection Adder as a seperate "power" with Time Delay (or perhaps delayed effect) (Missile is "Reflected" on [timescale X'] after being "intercepted"] Naturally you would also need the adder "Reflect At Any Target", and then flavor the whole thing with limitations to taste.

This would create a power that lets you intercept an incomming missile, and then reflect it anywhere you want on a later phase. but to do the reflection you would have to have gone into Missile Reflection mode on your own phase (or by holding you action), you can't abort to it.

I hadn't thought of "Naked Adder" method. I like that but Time Delay has to be set for a particular time and Delayed Effect is only in campaigns where you can only have X spells going at once which I won't be doing. I'm gonna hafta think how to make it work.

Reason From Effect.

If you're absorbing power and then redirecting it, that's Absorb (which deserves more coverage than it gets, considering all the uses for the freaking power). Remember, in HERO, that it's a sort of "form/function" thing. If you're a ... Lightning Mage or some noise, and you convert all Kinetic Energy into Electricity to fire back at people later, then it's:

Absorb (X), Y Multiplier (this is so you can absord a total capacity over your Absorb dice); Kinetic Energy Only (-1), Only for Casting Lightning Spells (-1/2), Requires an Activation Roll (-1/2), Must be Aware of Attack (-1/2)

Or something close to that. But you then build an attack which represents whatever you just did, as being Linked to the Absorb, or with the limitation "only draws power from Absorb pool." And you're good to go. Although my knowledge of absorb may be hazy, I think that's a rough guide as to how to do it.

This might be the start for another way. Two things it needs; Absorb does no defense so I need to be megadefenses and the 'sorbed points gotta go in a VPP so it can do any spell back atcha.

I'll work on this and the other way see what I can do. Thanks both a ya. :)