RSR Follow-Up

Scott Destroyer

Question

Hi again,

Referring to my earlier RSR question in this thread,

Posted by Steve Long:

First, it uses the RSR option for "use a Background Skill instead of a Characteristic-Based Skill," changing the normal value from -1/2 to -1/4. The "automatically fails on a 16+" is just tacked on to help properly define the power.

OK, the -1/4 value comes from the "roll based on a Background Skill". But why does it not suffer a reduction for ignoring the Active Point penalty? At -1/2 less of a Limitation for ignoring the Active Point penalty, it would actually be a +1/4 Advantage if not for the rule that caps Limitations at -0 (i. e., you never have to PAY points to limit your power).

I had thought the auto-fail thing might be some rules option for RSR I had missed (maybe from Digital Hero or somewhere), that compensated for this, but you say it's just for flavor. So what happened to that other -1/2?

Thanks again! :)

1 answer to this question

Re: RSR Follow-Up

The dim mak descriptions and rules were largely copied over from what Aaron Allston wrote in the original NH. AFAICR I stuck with what he wrote on the assumption that it all sort of balanced out as a "genre thing," but if you want to rewrite it with the more precise 5E rules, be my guest. :)