Trollblood package deal

War Cry

Troll Blood

Trollbloods were tall ugly men with hair that turned wolf-grey while they were still young. They could see as well by night as by day, just like a wolf. And when they fought, their strength increased after sunset. In the northlands, the winter sun sets only an hour or so after noon, and rises only an hour or so before noon, while the summer sun sets an hour before and after midnight.

It wasn’t an insult to call a man “trollblood”. Some of these men even had nicknames like Halftroll or Wolf.

Trollblooded package deal

Sveldigs consider anyone particularly tall, ugly, or magically inclined to be associated with trolls. Spellcasters are called the trollwise. The tall and ugly warriors are called trollblooded and often their hair has gone prematurely gray. While they are often regarded with some fear and suspicion, most Sveldigs also attribute special powers to those they see as cursed as such. Among the abilities said to be possessed by trollblooded individuals are the ability to see in the dark, great strength at night, immunity to the heat and cold and edged weapons.

Must take a minimum of three abilities to be considered truly trollblooded

5pts) +10 str, only at night

5pts) str min 30, only at night

5pts) night vision

2pts) immune intense heat and cold

6pts) 8rpd only vs. edged/iron weapons

Dist features: tall, ugly, and gray haired concealable with effort -10

physical limitation: limited effectiveness in daylight (-2 to all rolls during the day) –10

More of an add-on package that can have appeal to berzerker characters. Biggest concern is the physical limitation - are the negatives too severe, or too light and reflected accurately by the cost?

The descriptive text is taken from ICE Hero/rolemaster Vikings supplement. The package is also in the same book, only updated for 5th. Not my own work.

Re: Trollblood package deal

Well, it sort of depends what you mean "all" skill rolls. I imagine it is any skill roll which requires one to accurately see what they are doing and the troll is squinting because its too bright (gee, reminds me of my last migraine).

I think generally it accurately reflects the cost of having a -2 to a fair number of skill rolls, some of the time. I was going to say watch out for the Troll that uses blind flighting to negate the -2, but I don't think that's too offbalancing, after all, it probably costs more than 10 points.

Where it gets weird is having one eye is only 5 points and that's like 1/2 OCV to range weapons and having a severe blind spot. If you look at that and say, walking around half-blind is twice as bad than only having one good eye, then its probably balanced. Then again, maybe one eye should be worth 10 points. :think:

Re: Trollblood package deal

Well, it sort of depends what you mean "all" skill rolls. I imagine it is any skill roll which requires one to accurately see what they are doing and the troll is squinting because its too bright (gee, reminds me of my last migraine).

I think generally it accurately reflects the cost of having a -2 to a fair number of skill rolls, some of the time. I was going to say watch out for the Troll that uses blind flighting to negate the -2, but I don't think that's too offbalancing, after all, it probably costs more than 10 points.

Where it gets weird is having one eye is only 5 points and that's like 1/2 OCV to range weapons and having a severe blind spot. If you look at that and say, walking around half-blind is twice as bad than only having one good eye, then its probably balanced. Then again, maybe one eye should be worth 10 points. :think:

Well, it's not so much that the trollblood can't see as well as I'm trying to reflect the idea that sunlight causes pain. (A trollblood, does in fact, have a troll somewhere in his ancenstry) I went with a -2 to skill rolls as very simple means of reflecting the extra difficulty one has when attempting to do anything during the day. It might not be the best solution, but I liked more than the other more bizarre and complicated methods I tried.

If someone buys blindfighting to offset the -2 for combat, oh well, I won't panic as it will still have an affect in other areas.

Thanx for the feedback, something to think on.:thumbup: